guys don't want to work on weekends

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nosparkplugs, Apr 18, 2009.

1. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

THAT is very unique.
  2. dmunoz

dmunoz LawnSite Member

I call previous employers as well. I had an applicant once where the company told me that the guy I was calling about had never even worked there. If they lie about where they worked, how long they worked somewhere, or what they actually did, I don't hire them. I figure they'll lie about other things when they're my employee. I'd also prefer to hire someone referred to me by one of my guys. They don't refer slackers because they know it comes to them. And, you've got to wonder about the applicants who say things you really shouldn't tell prospective employers.
  3. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag:I'm just entering into this mess of employing others. I'd like to say that I take references, but I'd need someone to vouch for my kid...
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

With unemployment the way it is now and only going to get worse they are dam lucky to have a job. Now is not the time to tick off your employer.

Employees do not dictate when they come to work. The employer does.

If I had to sit around my office waiting and wondering if my guys were going to show up, there is no way in heck they would still be working here. And yes, they better answer MY phone if I call.

I spent too many years putting up with those games because I didnt want to "lose my good guys"

That was until I woke up and realized that who I thought were "good guys" were crap.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Good advice Procut. Right on the money. We are feeding their families... they need to learn that providing for their family is their first priority.