Guys (& gals) ..I need some advice...ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Jul 11, 2004.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

Although I don't own a lawn care business, I just bought a house with a 12.5 acre yard. The previous owner mowed it with a JD farm tractor w/ finish mower. I've read many!!! of the posts here, but I still would like some advice on these Q's.

1- I think I need a minimum of a 60" ZTR mower, but which one will last for YEARS with normal maintenence...the yard is 90% gentle slope.

2- If I go with a gas engine, should I go with AC or LC? Any specific brands/problems I need to be aware of?

3- Can the ZTR be equiped with a trailer hitch for pulling a light trailer without any problems?

4- My budget is 10,000 or less...(possibly slightly higher if I also get my wife jewelry)....and.... I have local dealers from JD, Toro, Gravely, Kubota, New Holland, etc....I'm in the middle of farmland here!

5- Finally, based on your advice, and I will test drive different ones, but I've never driven the joystick or twin bars? steering mowers...only the standard steering wheel models...any advice there?

Thanks in advance,
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go to your dealers and look at and demo all the mowers that you can on your property. Different mowers, perform better in some conditions than others.
  3. travis strecker

travis strecker LawnSite Member

i would go with the exmark 60 liguid cooled
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro Z588E, 28 hp EFI 60'' turbo force deck, suspension seat etc, etc.

12 acres, air cooled is plenty fine imo.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe the previous owner had some insight into the maintenance of your 12.5 acres, I would talk to the boys at JD and New Holland and see what they could do for you on a Estate sized tractor with a belly mower and turf tires. Small tractors will give you many attachment options that could be very handy.
    Someone somewhere told me "Real mowers come with steering wheels", that size machine will not work for me on my accounts so I will stick with my Z HP.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Crazy, you can get a 27HP 60" cut Dixie Chopper for under 8,000 and it goes faster than any other Zero turn on the market, giving you more free time.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob makes a couple of good points, and the one about small tractors giving attachment options is perhaps the best. Remember that you're going to need to pull a fertilizer spreader and so on. I would also echo his comment about asking the previous homeowner about his/her experiences.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You don't want to spend all that time cutting grass. Buy the jewelry and enjoy life.
    Hire a LCO to do it

Ok if you really want to than I think BobR has a point. A compact tractor will cost about the same and will do a whole lot more for you. With that many acres to maintain I think you will use it a lot. just my opinion.