Guys help me out here!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Craftybigdog, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a chemlawn, trugreen or lawn doctor truck out fertilizing. Why so early I mean tonight the low is suppost to be 16 nothing is growing. What in the world could they be doing?
  2. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

Granular pre-emergent maybe?
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

They are telling you to go up to the door and tell the homeowner that you are licensed and certified to apply a better quality of product at the proper times. On top of that tell them that it will be YOU who will be there to apply every time since you are the owner. Also let them know that yu have a vested interest in the community that you work and will responsibly apply all chemicals according to that law and will not apply to frozen ground that probably will end up washing to the curb during the next heavy spring rain.

Sorry but that is bull. If they have so many customers that they have to apply on snow then something is wrong there. I get many converts from big companies to my local service once you educate the homeowners. Good Luck and get going.
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

While talking to a customer of mine yesterday, he told me he saw a application flag in his neighbors lawn a couple days ago. Mind you, we are also still frozen, with snow in the forecast over the next week. I may be new to fert and weed control, but to me that is just crazy.
  5. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Its called marketing, in most cases once a customer receives their first treatment from their company they are less likely to cancel. What they are doing is getting there first apps down before you even get a chance to give the customer a price for your service.

I dont agree with it, but thats what it is.
  6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I know exactly what you're seeing as it's happening up my way too. It's pathetic that with the nitrate issues with groundwater that this senseless application techniques are allowed. The main reason they do this is not just to get a jump on servicing but to make people feel obligated to having the service another year even if they haven't renewed their contract or agreement. Sure most dont make it that you need to set up from year to year, but when it's done in this manner it's no wonder people dont want to ahve a service anymore! I love to leave a flyer or brochure behind to these poeple to let them know just how irresponsible these tactics are. I actually had a new account sign up today because they done his application without notification or any renewal.
  7. ns400r

ns400r LawnSite Member

Mark, I agree, Hey are the air fares into boston still cheap? You know you can find good lobster rolls in boston, plus plenty of ducks? :p
  8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard trugreen is offering 10 dollar apps up to 5k sq.ft. Nothing better than to get those apps out of the way while snow is still on the ground. Their customer turnaround is 3 years, so be patient, and canvas the area with door hangers or mailers.
  9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I went to a home today. On my first visit I told him to be sure to cancel MegaLawnCo. And to watch out. They have a habit of showing up the next day after you cancel. They do it to try to obligate you into keeping them.

Guess what happened? You got it...they apped on top of mine though he told them not to. I had 10 that pre-paid with me and MLC showed up anyway for the weed control.

And why is it when I do the apps, there are no weeds left? I am going back on the ones they scammed the first one on and I'm treating weeds!