Guys it is getting bad in this industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You're not alone PSC.
    The exact same scenario that you laid out in your first post is happening here more and more all the time now in the lawn care field, and has been going on for many, many years in the construction game, which was my main career for 25+ years. They are especially bad here in the competition for drywall and brick work. I have talked to many of them, and some are extremely proud of the fact that they can game our system without fear of any repercussion.

2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Ive been telling everyone on this board for a few years now that the illegals are ruining this industry. If your area is not full of illegals it will be. I worked construction for over 20 years and they ruined that industry also.

You used to be able to get 20 to 30 dollars for a good carpenter back then, now you will be lucky to get 12 dollars an hour. Same thing is happening to this industry. The illegals are more brazen now, they know they are pretty much untouchable. Especially with Obama fighting tooth and nail to stop states from enforcing the laws.

Blue collar work is heading in the toilet. If you think its bad now just wait. Pretty soon you will be paying people to cut their lawns. Some do it now and don't know it.

I see more mowing rigs out now then ever before. I used to say that every year, but I really can't believe how many I see on a daily basis. 90 percent are illegals or illegals that work for other companies. A lot of the illegals are getting smart and brazen and working for themselves in this industry.

Why work for someone else when they can do it themselves and make more money. Ive been pushing contracts for the last few years and although it has been slow growing the customers I pick up are good customers that want good service. They won't nickle and dime me over five dollars.

I don't take on bi-weeklys or customers that won't sign a yearly agreement. I did that before and too many ups and downs. You pick up a few and lose a few and the cycle continues. I don't know how some of these guys do it. How do you employ people and keep good help when you don't know from week to week how many customers are going to call to drop you for some illegal $5 cheaper.

Ive been thinking real hard about my business focus next season. I'm really thinking about going full blown into fert and weed control. I'm licensed and have been doing it now for 2 years and the money is way better than mowing. I do see the illegals with push spreaders and backpacks now though.

But the market is better for fert and squirt. A lot of competition in fert and squirt but not nearly as tough as mowing is getting.

I laugh at the new guys thinking about getting into mowing. All I can say is good luck.

Dave...

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Money laundering/ organized crime come in many forms and I believe this is just another
    way of washing cash from beginning to end. I have seen this first hand in the auto recycling industry and now this is starting the same way with this industry IMO.
    easy-lift guy

4. coolluv

from Atlanta

Thats funny you posted as I was writing my post. Just confirms what I was saying. The republicans are no better and will probably do nothing about the illegals. No one wants to do anything about them because its not about what is right or wrong for our country and its citizens, its about getting reelected.

The Latino population is a major voting base that is only going to get bigger with more power. Check out Raza. They are encouraging illegals to start their own businesses. This country is going to hell in a hand basket.

Dave...

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Quit your belly aching! ;) have a rum and coke!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. coolluv

from Atlanta

Ive done the same thing, but as far as the keeping up with the Jones and them not hiring illegals in a Ford Ranger. Not around here. I go into Million dollar hoods where you see everything from mini vans to honda's cutting lawns. Those customers don't care, they save money by getting things for slave labor and the illegals don't care because it beats 50 cents an hour back home.

I'm amazed at the rigs I see out there and the hoods they are in. I try to look professional and clean and neat with company uniforms etc. It don't matter to most though. Price is king nowadays. If your willing to work for peanuts they are more than willing to give you the work, and they don't care what you drive.. how you look... or what you use to get the job done.

Freaking amazing times we are living in. People just don't care anymore. Like I said... good luck newbies.

Dave...

7. coolluv

from Atlanta

Ha Ha Ha, I'm on number 2 right now.

Dave...

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I stayed home today...first day I've missed in two years. Some kind of stomach virus.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. coolluv

from Atlanta

That sucks.

Dave..

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's it right there, and what I was just too lazy to put in my post. They are getting rich here on what we would call rediculously low wages- even below the minimum by a long ways in most cases, yet far above what they'd make back in their own country(s). 10-15 per apartment, all ride to work in one or two cars so little overhead to live here, and customers who just don't care as long as they get the very best deal they can regardless of what it does to our country/economy. It's only going to get worse, especially if obummer stays in power. At least the repubs are too lazy to make it worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.