1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guys it is getting bad in this industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Was there a reason for throwing this in:dizzy: Looks like you ought to be able to price match and drive them back out!
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

More like, why not stay at home.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

this thread is nothing new......

illegals have been doing our work for years. been that way long before the 6 years I've been in business.

it's the way most of the large outfits operate in my neck of the woods.
  4. prezek

prezek LawnSite Member

I'm up around Baltimore and it's definitely getting worse, but I'd say I get under bid by new guys just trying to gain that customer and don't know their real expenses yet as much as the illegals. Some guy starting out says to himself I need 40 lawns @ $25 to make $1000 a week and works towards that number...he won't be around long. I leave a great impression with that customer, tell them I'm here if things don't work out, put them on a mailing list and there's a good chance I'm getting that call next spring. All a numbers game.
  5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

If this country would get a leader that can start creating more jobs maybe this would be less and less of a problem. Hey, lost your job? Go buy a mower. I hate having to compete with 15 year olds and people with no ambition. This industry is a joke for the smaller guys.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If we dont get some rain Ill be home the rest of the summer.
  7. cgaengineer

I'd say get the fishing poles out but....

Time to find an inside hobby...crochet? Knitting? Basket weaving?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

In my town we have illegals and illegals.
    What I mean is the ones that are illegal citizens and illegal business people.
    They do not affect me too much because most of my work is commercial so these people cannot compete.
  9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Since the old lady left lawnsite is the only thing I do inside LOL

I have been able to get back on my new home project of 5 years now, Im framing the inside but it gets hot in the afternoon.
  10. cgaengineer

I bid a 28 acre cemetery. They wanted a weekly price, a hack job bid it at $434 per week. We estimated 2 eight hour days with 4 guys. You tell me how someone can do that job for $434...besides TruGreen LandCare they were the lowest bid...bids started at $1200 and went up to about $2000.
    Posted via Mobile Device
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.