1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guys it is getting bad in this industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Old saying "When in Roam do as Romans do". The problem her in the great USofA is the new immigrants both legal and illegal are doing and living like they did in there home country, Small house no thrills existence. But in the mean time they are taking jobs and doing anything and everything but cheaper. Hence the problem exists and will continue.

I don't have to mow grass for to many more years. But I refuse to get upset about something that I and this government can not and will not correct. So I and the guy that will be around for the next 10 or 20 years has to "ADAPT". Easier said the done, but the future is right in front of use. It will not be like the past or to your liking for today or like yesterday. Tomorrow is going to be different. The question is are you going to change with the times? Or let it pass you by?

In Short the great American dream is changing. Working hard and get ahead is still possible. But the progression of this journey is what is total different.
  2. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

its people like you that are low balling 25$? really i remember mowing for that price in the late 1990s
  3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're sure that they're illegal report them!
  4. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe if you and your dad weren't so obviously racist, your customers wouldn't leave you over $5

just because you see a group of latinos cutting grass doesn't mean they are illegal or running some tax scheme to save money.

truth is, they (latinos/mexicans) have different wants than we americans have. they don't need a 3000 sq ft home if it's just three family members. they are fine driving their 1999 toyota corolla...while we lust for a bmw or benz.

this is just a guess, but i bet 90% of employees of the big time companies are latinos. i have 4 guys working for me that are LEGAL latinos. they work for a big company here and help me on thurs, fri and saturday.

here's the key: they're all brothers, they live together in a 4 bd rm apt and they only have 2 cars! if they decided to open their own biz, they could charge $20/yard because they live below their means.

just my opinion, but your customer dropped you for other reasons, not $5
  5. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

the guy before you....the one that was doing the lawns for $30....is somewhere complaining about how he was lowballed by $5 by an illegal lowballer
  6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

These 16mph ztrs are not helping anything either. My city was talking about needing a business licence for lawn and landscape work. Only giving so many out and older companies would be grandfathered in
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

You must be fairly new in this business. "It's headed your way"........It's been this way since the beginning of time and is just getting worse.
  8. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Your major competition are the big LCO's with hispanics they are like the CEO's that overseas work and hurt this country. I know I offended most of you guys. The other are the ones that get unemployment and do this on the side while their wives are working hard making the dough. oh we can't forget the ones that do it for cash under the table. I can go on forever!
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Negative on that one. This customer lost her husband 3 years ago and has been struggling to pay her bills. She is in her 60's and almost every year she gets 1, 2, 3 months behind and one day she will come out and pay us. Been like that with her ever since her husband passed. We never said a word because she always did eventually pay and she told us up front about her situation and thanked us for understanding and not cutting her off. Now she found a way to save a few bucks so we are out. This is a 10,000 sq/ft lawn. She even cut back on how often she had it treated so I know she is making all of her decisions based on price. BTW her lawn was always one of the better looking lawns in the neighborhood. Always cut clean and striped in different directions and always trimmed and edged crisp. Nobody is going to be able to come in and do a better job. We have had her neighbor for over 20 years. They did quit a few years ago and went with a bigger outfit. After 2 years they came back. They said they felt we did a better job and it helped that we still had the neighbor that just quit yesterday so both lawns were side by side and in direct comparison every week.

Here is something else she would do once her husband passed. Every year she would get a price from us to trim the bush's, clean the beds out and edge them and mulch. 4 yards of mulch required. Every year we told her it would be the same as previous years. 4 yards of mulch at $60 a yard installed and that also included trimming the bush's, weeding and edging. So that quote was always $240. A couple weeks later we would show up to cut and it would be done. Now who the hell is going to come in and do all of that for less than $240?
  10. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Its here too. Scag walkbehind on a small trailer behind a truck (sometimes old, sometimes late model) with a few trimmers on racks or in the bed of the truck. Saw probably 10 or 15 of these outfits while out today. Its insane. We just keep our customers super happy and they pay our prices. We have only lost 1 or 2 people to price recently.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.