1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guys it is getting bad in this industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CurbGuyNC

CurbGuyNC LawnSite Member
    from NC

There are low ballers in every industry. The curbing business, the auto detailing/reconditioning business, the hair salon business, the roofing business....I could go on and on. Our businesses succeed despite the low bidders because we have created an image, strive for the best results, educate our customers and have developed a trust where our clients know that we will be on time, offer the best customer service and the best product at a fair price. We don't get all the business, but we work hard to keep the best customers. They can have the wishy washy clients that change with every $5 dollar bill. Instead of focusing on what the low bidders are doing...focus your energy on what you can do to instill confidence in your current and new customers. It will take time, but be a great investment in yourself.
  2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

I agree and thats what I do.

3. The Grass Master

The Grass Master LawnSite Member

Pro Street Camaro. I have only one question for you. Why do you need 5 Zero turns? In your original post you wrote something like "these guys are doing lawns for $20 and have fancy new rigs with 3 bran new 10K dollar zero turns. TRUST ME, they will go out of business. Prob won't make it past the first year. I have watched at least 10 companies just like you described go under. Same exact business model came to my Linthicum, MD route and undercut me, doing lawns for $25 that I was doing for $40. Well guess what? EVERY last one of em went outa business. I now have 14 customers on the same street, taking back every last one of them after they gave up. Oh yeah, now the rate is $45-$50 and each customer understands that if they cut me again I will never take them back.

My reason for saying this is two fold. First, these low ballers that have nothing but new expensive equipment is because, they are new, don't know what there doing and will go outa business. Witch will serve a great buying opportunity for me. I will get a great deal on one year old equipment. Secondly, that's how you operate. Why would you ever need 5 zero turns?
  4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

The IRS doesn't care who pays their taxes any more than the DMV gives a rat as to who has a driver's license,
    for commercial work the only requirements are insurance and legitimately paying taxes.
    Mostly and only because the business having the work done will claim it as a deduction.
    And to pay taxes all you need is a EIN and a State Tax Registration number, neither of which check your immigration status.

And there's more...
    Immigration will actually grant Visas to people who hold legitimate employment, such as small business owners.
    All you need to enter the United States is a legitimate JOB, and if you own a business in the USA that likely qualifies.
    How do you think all those folks from India are suddenly working in all the convenience stores?
    Then they can "hire" a few of their friends, and now they have a legitimate job and can enter the country, too.

That's how they get in, the better part of that is actually completely legal, borderline perhaps, but legal.
    Like the child born in usa law, have pregnant mother run across border, give birth in usa = baby is a us citizen.

And now that they know the above, maybe you can start to see them, too.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Member
    from GSO NC

To the OP your father totally mishandled the situation.Its the customers choice no matter how long he serviced her yard,she can walk way any time she feels like. He showed no professionalism what so ever.
  6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Buy them a Christmas present.... Really?!!

Bonding with customers consists of taking care of what needs to be done. We mail out Christmas cards to customers, but that is the extent. Up here it isn't so much the illegals it's the unemployed people working for cash. Saw three rigs today, a jeep wrangler, volvo station wagon and a pickup. The jeep and the wagon had a TSC trailer in tow with a rider, push mower and a trimmer. The pickup had a push mower in the back. They'll mow properties for $20 less than the local going rate because they make $30 on a lawn it took them 2 hours to do. Also customers do vary by level of income contrary to belief. I have seen a large LCO go to a waterfront property with 2 trucks, 5 guys, and 2 Walkers, to mow 1/4 acre lawn. If that property was 5 miles inland do you think the customer would pay for that type of service?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll give you a couple years and see how many invade your area......its not if, its when.....
  8. StanMcm

StanMcm LawnSite Member

I agree with Grass Master. Usually this is just a cycle. I have seen this as well. The cheapest never survives, you have to have good customer serve and provide a good service.
  9. HusqvarnaRules

HusqvarnaRules LawnSite Member

Totally agree with you stephen424. Problem I see is "Americans" around me seem to feel a sense of entitlement. The "big boy" landscapers can't stand when a few hispanics roll up in a 20 yr. old truck/car with a few pushmowers, trimmers and rakes and do work that easily rivals these large outfits and can afford to do it for less due to minimum overhead. Most of those hispanics will work rings around the average American and expect little in return. They are just happy to be living here and making a decent living.
  10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'm betting that you are either hispanic, or employ a bunch of them and feel the need to justify it. When people from ANY country come here illegally and lowball those of us who were born here, and have THE RIGHT to work here, then yea, it's a problem for all of us in this country, not just LCO's. It costs us all millions of dollars in taxes to pay for their health care and other govn't benefits they can apply for and receive all while working for depressed wages here that are still miles ahead of what they can make in their own country. If they come here legally and can speak english, then I don't care where there from, nor what they drive and/or use to do their work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.