Guys on a Crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Apr 13, 2003.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Guys,
    How many people do you typically carry on a crew. Is everyone put to good work?

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I guess that depends on if they are 'slugs' or not. One guy I have is really motivated and never needs to be told to get to work. Two others need smoke breaks every 5 minutes and I have to supervise them all the time.

A good worker and myself can do more work than if the other two were with us. The 2 slugs cause me to spend more time supervising and correcting their mistakes than adding to useful work.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

2 guys to a crew. I tried 3 once for 1 1/2 weeks and it was like total confusion.

4. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I prefer one man crews but I have two new guys last week so I didn't trust them with my stuff yet so we have been running a 3 man for now and seems to work really fast. but work to money ratio isn't near as good

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no one correct answer to this question. You'll have to figure a lot of this on your own. Variable include: equip size, operator experience, supervisor skills, accouint size, # properties per stop, travel time, etc. Personally what I have found to work best for me are 2 man crews. The majority of our accounts range from 2500 sq. ft to 12000 sq feet (mainly 5000-7000 sq ft). A few days it pays to add a third guy when we're doing all lawns over 10,000 sq ft up to 3 acres. For the smaller accounts, 1 man does most to all mowing while second guy edges, trims and blows off (may have to mow some). With 3 man crew, 1 uses rider, second walk behind or stander, while third edges & trims. First one done runs blower and last one finished loads traier, checks equip for gas, trimmer line, etc or can help blow off as well.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our commercial crew has 3 people, and our residential crew is 2 with a 3rd as needed. When sweeping from winter maintenance and spring and fall cleanups we all work as 1 crew.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

For many years I have wrestled with 2 vs. 3 people. Last year, I tried a 3-man crew and it worked great. Two guys mowing and one trimming. I loaded them up all week with the biggest jobs.

I had to change things around though to make it worth it for my business. I figured they had to do $1100 - $1200 a day in total revenue for about 8 hours or so to make it work. And it did.

Frankly, the 2 guys that had previously worked by themselves liked having the 3rd guy (obviously). And by the end of the 2nd full week, every job that they went on, they just went about their business cause they all 3 knew what had to be done to complete the job.

I wish I had tried this sooner.

8. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I run both 2 and 3 men crews. I like the 2 men crews because as said before the work to money ratio isn't near as good. I usually run 3 man crews when we do clean ups. A friend of mine send all his crews to do clean ups together.( 5 crews 15 Men) I have not tried it but I might next year being that my route is pretty tight. When we do mulching jobs we run a 4-5 man crew.
    Travis

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a tough ? IMO the more you hire, the less money you make,,Its just hard to find good help these days... The crews just wont treat equipment, clients, properties etc... the way you would. I think it is more hassle than its worth. Again JMO.:)

I have 2 guys working for me, and I go off and do the ferts, cuts,an estimates, while the 2 do the cleanups, and odd jobs...:D