guys showing up late...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 31, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

today, my guy showed up over an hour late. he's supposed to be here by 8:30, showed after 9:30. I sent him home, cuz i was alittle frustrated. Would you have did the same, or started working from there, despite the fact you kind of gave up on the day. he is a good worker, and hardly ever does this... was i too hard? i still gave him $5 for lunch cuz i think these guys depend on you to eat...

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Did he have a reason? Does it happen often?

You can still get a lunch in NY for $5? :) Now I'm craving a knish and a hotdog :D

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You did fine. You taught him a good lesson. Did you tell him to call next time?
    John

4. fga

i would say about once ever 2 weeks... maybe. he was sniffling and saying something about his nose.... but i've won some oscars in my lifetime:rolleyes:

$5 =

1) 4 hotdogs and a soda
    2) chicken parm hero and soda
    3) 3 slices of pizza and soda

then there's always the fast food dollar menu mix and match

i did tell him to call next time......

5. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

What did you do. Go back to bed?

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully they will learn their lesson and be ontime from now on. That is bad when you can't find good help.

Gravely_Man

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My guy showed up 25 minutes late two weeks ago. Last straw, as he had done it twice before. Told him to go home. I've been back to solo ever since, and only spend about an hour extra each day without him. Good riddance!

8. fga

I wish.. there's always something that has to get done that fills in every free minute of the day...

9. fga

i would love to go totally solo, but i'm now on the borderline of needing to hire another guy, a second worker. I wish i could get the numbers to line up to become solo.

10. jug head

jug head LawnSite Member

Make him layer under the mower deck scraping crud for an extra hour at quitting time--nothing like hard azz work before it's time to go home to set the mood-- He will have the rest of the evening to think of what happened when he was late--lol