1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

guys still in school

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

as u guys may or may not know i am a high schooler and i have 18 accounts(all my dad will let me have for now) but i was wondering how u guys that are still in school balance your school with work?
  2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i go to school for half of the day if the work load is busy, but most of the time i squeeze work in from 3pm to 7pm.... next year when i'm a senior i'm only goin to take 2 classes and be out at 11am and will graduate in january 2006

as of rite now, i only balance a small load about 20lawns during the week.... i take some light classes like vocational classes where if i'm behind in my business i can leave school early.... BTW, i take 4 classes a day, its a block class systems... 2 semester a year then we switch classes, 90 min classes..... 8 classes a year, but their broken up in 2 semester....
    in the morning i take english and us. history and in the afternoon i take a marketing class and an building trades class, if i need to i will leave half of the day, whether its fishing or work related....

P.S. i'm 17 2morrow and am in the 11th grade this year....
  3. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

when I was in school I had 24 lawns. I was bust'n butt every day after school to mow my lawns. I did my school work in study hall and right before class. I never had to study for tests and always had A's and B's on everything.
  4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I graduated 2 years ago at 17... I cut about 15 accounts at that time. I had another job for co-op and that kept me busy 12:30-5. I'd mow after that job as well as on weekends. I was one busy dude. As far as college, I did 2 courses early morning mon-thurs, and I was out cutting by noon. payup
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im a senior right now and im doing 55+ accounts per week, it's a full time operation. I get out of school at 12:00 and mow till it gets late. For the past 2 weeks ive been skipping school 1 or 2 days a week just to keep up with my accounts, mulching Is almost impossible, I can usually squeeze em in on Sunday. Honestly it's a rough routine, but im making the money my classmates won't even make when they have thier degrees. It's a sacrifice, but when i graduate i will have a well established business.
  6. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a Junior right now and I just have to take off right after to school to start working. I have 21 accounts right now and I have to bust my a** to get them all done. The downside is I can't go anywhere with friends after school, in the spring because I am so busy.
  7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I have 28 residential accounts, 24 that we mow every week. We also mow a 2.5 acre cemetary. We mow Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons usually from about 3-7:30. We get them all done during the week so that we can do what we love on the weekends, hunting. There is no shame in working as hard as all of us do at our age. We make the best money of any kids our age and earn the respect of people in the business world. Best of luck to everyone this season.
  8. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

im a freshman in college go to class two nights a week maintain 104 lawns, fert 75, spring/fall clean up as well as landscaping from tuesday, wensday, and thursday.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

homeschooled works wonders :D
  10. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i get out at 1 or 130 each day and work till 6. I cut 7 yards a day and do landscaping on weekends. I never skip school for work