1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guys that run Ferris Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pclawncare, Aug 24, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering how the bigger engines are doing. I am intersted in 30-32 hp gas engine anyone have an recomendations on which setup to go with. I am looking at a 61" deck and i am tired of having an underpowered machine so this time i want to get plenty of power. I just havent herd many people talking about the big blocks? Anything to worry about or problems? What makes the 3000 series better than the 2000 besides they offer bigger engines?
  2. Captain Pooby

Captain Pooby LawnSite Member

Swingset has a Ferris IS1500z with the 19 HP kawisaki. Not exactly what you are looking for, but he's the only one I know of.

I lust after the IS5100z with the 33.5 HP Caterpillar diesel engine. truly monstrous!
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 05 1000z with a 61" deck and 27hp kohler, i think it had plenty of power in heavy grass even when i first got it... of course now with mulching baffles installed, it could use a bit more power in heavy grass, but i cut all weeklys with it so it still does fine.

I also have a new 1500z with a 48" deck and 21hp engine, that does great too, but is still their smaller machine.

The 2000z is wider than mine, but i think its smaller in "feel" than my 1000z. The 2000z imo is not much larger than the 1500z model

The 3100z are really nice machines, theyre much bigger/taller feeling than either of mine. I havnt gotten to test one out yet but its on my list to buy for spring 08 with a 72" deck.

Id love to have one of their diesel ones but the price is up there. If your after big open areas and a 61" deck, look into the 4500z with the 28-hp cat engine. The closest comparison i can offer, is my 27hp briggs vangaurd/dihatsu diesel in my 06 Simplicity legacy xl tractor has a 60" mower deck on it that cuts awesome.

I tested it out on a heavy 3 acre property before and to put it simply, you can still bog down a diesel easily but not as easy as a similar hp gas engine.

My gas 27hp kohler will bog down fast and you know its bogging fast.

my 27hp diesel with same size deck, bogs down slow, so your still moving 7/8/9mph or so flying through heavy grass when it starts to bog, 3k, 2.5k 1800rpms and its finally struggling to keep going, shaking etc. but slow down some and it will have all its b$lls back again. Im only going to "assume" the diesel ferris mowers act in this same type of manner when mowing heavy too.

My diesel tractor though sips fuel at full throttle with the mower wheras the zero turn gas are eating it up.

My diesel tractor i think at 3000rpms is quieter or feels smoother than the noisy gas 27 or 21hp motors at wide open throttle mowing, its still noisy but a smooth sound.

Im curious to hear a 32hp vangaurd big block or 35hp water cooled version full throttle while mowing though.
  4. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I demo'd a 3100 with a 32hp B&S before getting my 1500. It was very nice, even in tall weedy grass it blew through it like it wasn't even cutting. The 3100 has cast iron spindles, which is also a nice feature over mine.

The bigger Ferris machines are nice, smooth and easy to handle but I opted for a smaller, lighter machine for my needs. I don't know how well the vanguards are holding up, tho. I love kawi motors myself and would prefer them in almost any mower outside of a diesel.

My 1500Z has a 21hp Kawi, but it's only pushing a 48" deck so it's got power to burn.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I currently have...

2 3000's with 27 hp Kohlers (air) and a 61" deck
    1 3100 with a 32 Briggs (air) and a 72" deck
    1 4000 with a 32 Briggs (liquid) and a 72" deck

...have 4 big WB's as well and a total of 20 or so Ferris machines during the past 14 years. Ran a field demo test for Turf Magazine lat Summer and wrote up the report on the IS2000 with a 27 hp Kohler on a 61" deck. Lastly, field tested the prototype IS5000 years ago.

I have to honestly say out of all the machines, I like the 27 hp/61" deck the best overall. Maneuverability is great, power ratio to deck size is fine, and their ride is unsurpassed.
  6. pclawncare

Thanks for all your replies i am cutting about 25 acres bi weekly and i have a grasshopper 223 right now and it is severly under powered for my needs. It is an ok machine for home owners who keep the grass under control but some of my areas get out of control. I know you are thinking thats alot of money for a machine to mow just 25 acres but i get paid VERY nicely for those 25 acres which makes it worth my time and money for a machine. The ferris was IMO much stronger with the 25hp kawi than my 23hp kohler. The ferris by far surpassed the grasshopper in ride, speed, and cut quality although it did bog down which is expected with grass being that tall. I just hate slowing down for a machine and have decided when i switch it is going to have plenty of power. Also i mow some rought areas so the suspension is almost a must. Right now i wake up sore after mowing for 4or5 hours on my grasshopper the day befor and im only 20 yr old. I personaly for some reason have never liked Briggs engines they always seemed to me to be low end engines rod father i would be curous about how that 32 briggs is running that 72" deck because if it can handle that then it can handle a 61" easily.
  7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey pclawncare, where do you mow at?
  8. pclawncare

Enid area. You?
  9. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3100 with the 30 hp kohler, had a problem last week so my dealer lent me a 2000 with the 27hp kohler, never had any problems with the 3100 its a great machine
  10. pclawncare

What was the problem and how many hours did it have on it?