Guys that take care of Large places!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question for you. I was asked to bid on a 55 and older community. Its townhouses, 4 in a row and there a 35 of them so thats 140 townhomes. Each lot is about 7250 sq. ft. so that X 35 is 5.8 acres. All sod and sidewalks and such. So eveyone has to be edged and weedeated and then cut and then blown off. Where would you start with this? I was thinking 15 a yard, what do you think. Also there is quite a bit of common area and also I will do mulching, fertilizing, etc. And snow removal during the winter(I dont even want to think about that yet). Just let me know what your thoughts are and your past experiences. Thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know how you would do it, but, seems like a pretty nice prop. 140 sodded props, SWEET!!!
  3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Slowly, I have all the equipment and guys. I was thinking maybe a walker I dont know yet. Theres alot to it!
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Depends upon what equipment you have as to wheather you will make money, I am sure that in your area the going rate is ? close to $15 or you would not have put that number up. Now you have to figure out how to do it efficiently enough to make a buck.
  5. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

i just started taking care of a very large school campus and simply figured out the amount they'd owe me for one day for mowing, then figured out things like mulch, and hedge trimming, my advice would be to take it one thing at a time, and dont lowball yourself... hope i helped out some, good luck
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would take Flex-Deck up on his offer. Good Luck!!!
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

$15.00 per prop sounds like a competitive bid, But alot of guys on here are gonna Hem and Haw about it. That'll get you $525 per cut, and I would asume you and one guy could do it in 8 hours or less. Which in my book is good money for 8hours work not including the extras.

Im sure somebodys gonna say "OH $15.00 per property NO WAY, by the time you add all the hidden expenses you might as well go work for someone!"

Mark my words, Someone is going to post something like that. If you can't makemoney on that with 1 man you are in the wrong business.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Figure on a property like that which is broken up and has lots of trimming and edging, and blowing. A 2 man crew can do about 1.5-2.0 acres of completed production per hr. (completed meaning mow, trim, blow) I would say that property will take a 2 man crew about 3.25 hrs to complete everything. So based on that I would be in the ballpark of 300-375.00 depending if if needed to be bagged or not. If baggin with a walker, we dump on sidewalks then take leaf vac and suck up clippings.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

"OH $15.00 per property NO WAY, by the time you add all the hidden expenses you might as well go work for someone!" :p

Anyways, around here, depending on how much common area there is, and whether or not the fertilizing / chemical apps are included, as well as the snowplowing, it could run anywhere from $20 / unit / month to $50 / unit / month.
  10. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me you will not win that bid pricing it by the yard. Needs to be price by amount of time.