Guys what do you all use to scrap under your decks?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Pittsburgh Panther, May 16, 2005.

1. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

I have been using my hand but there is some build up because I didn't clean it one time after I cut. I would like to find something that will scrap the deck but not scratch the paint. Any suggestions on how to clean the deck would be appreciated.

On my other problem I wish I would of killed the few spots of annual rye I had last year because this it has just exploded. I am having to kill a bunch of spots. My yard looks like it has chicken pox.

2. MDB270

MDB270 LawnSite Member

5 gallon paint stirer from home depot

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 5-in-1 Painters Tool it can scratch the paint if you arent careful though.It works very well... much betther than the screwdriver i had to use before :)

4. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

I use both, the stir stick and 5 in 1 tool. Then spray with Pam. It's amazing how I don't scrape that much anymore with the Pam. The stir sticks are FREE at Home Depot!!!! The paints coming off anyway dude. Not gonna hurt it.

5. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I use a putty knife. It's about 3 inches wide. Works pretty well.

6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Putty knife then Pam. The non stick stuff helps alot. What does not stick comes off much easier.

7. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

Thanks again

Pittsburgh Panther

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

snap-on gasket scraper.

9. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Would you ever consider a pressure washer? Obviously avoiding the spindles.

10. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I misplaced my putty knife last week and in a pinch I used a 1" wood chisel with great success. What I like is that it wasn't too thick like a 3 or 4" putty knife and it didn't flex either. I just took my time and when I was done it was cleaner than any scrape job I did with a putty knife. One note you must keep the blade flat or it will gouge the metal. Now regarding the paint, dont worry, it is going to come off anyway. No need to worry about rust during the cutting season. Remember to spray the underside of your deck in the off season with a penetrating oil like WD-40 or similar or it will rust. Good luck!
    OH by the way, found that putty knife as soon as I finished the scrape job. I will still use it to remove the big chunks but will use the wood chisel to finish the job before spraying it with PAM.