1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Guys who bag grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Feb 26, 2010.

1. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

In this situation the cow farm that i dump at is less than a 1/4 mile on a dirt rd. in a private subdivition. get a clue buddy.

2. sdk1959

sdk1959 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess yardguy28 is one of those ANNOYING people that make a comment when they ASSUME you are finished a job BEFORE you actually are.

You know the type, ex: expect a tool to be put away after each task instead of at the end of a job even though you'll need to use it half dozen more times.:hammerhead: Hey everybody let's do double the work on a job!:dizzy:

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm sure most of us on here know the benefits of mulching vs. bagging. but as i will state below not every situation can be mulched.

i'm with you guys 100%. not every situation can be mulched. if your mowing wet or longer than normal turf mulching just makes it look like sheot. as for the leaves. a lot of clients prefer the spotless look bagging them up provides. and around my neck of the woods thats what they pay us for in the first place. you also have the clients that request you bag there lawn each and every time and i for one will not turn away business just because they want it bagged each and every time, especially when they are willing to pay the price for it to be bagged. i also bag my commercial properties because it makes clean up with parking lots A LOT easier. i learned that lesson the hard way.

the only mulch kit i own and will ever use is the one on my 36" metro and thats because it's primarily used on smaller backyards where if i side discharged it would cover the mulch beds with grass. i side discharge most lawns, except for my commercial accounts, the clients that request it be bagged, if the lawn is to long to side discharge and during the fall when the leaves are falling everyone gets bagged.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

never said i was going to turn him in. but i would consider turning someone in my neck of the woods in if i was out and saw someone driving down the road like that.

yep i saw those very words right in the picture i made the comments on. what i was thinking :hammerhead:

well you would know all about that because your ASSUMING i'm one of those people :hammerhead:

5. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I never multch a lawn, either it gets bagged or blown, it looks like crap if you multch a wet lawn, and i dont have the time to wait until 1000 o'clock for the lawns to dry after a heavy dew, and when i do bag i fill the ruck to the top with the grass, open the tailgate and drive like a mofo, why..because its less grass to shovel out of the truck!!!:cool2:

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If you get those results mulching your N program is mismanaged or your mulching system sub par.

7. dishboy

from zone 6

No, it means you are wasting time , resources and you might educate yourself on the benefits to the turf/soil that leaving clipping does. Clippings are a EXCELLENT source of fresh OM.

8. dishboy

from zone 6

If you put that heavy ill cutting field mower in my small residentials I mulch you would be fired within four weeks. Bragging on a machine because how much you spent does not impress anyone.

9. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

IF a customer wants thier lawn bagged, you bag it, if the lawn get really long and you want it to look great when your done you bag it! all my lawn look great when i'm done, in 9 years of buisness i have never lost a customer because they were unhappy with my work, and with over 100 accounts i'm pretty proud of that, but if you want to multch everything, everyday then have at it!!!!

10. dishboy

from zone 6

If the customer can not see any difference in the finished product and yet turf quality steadily improves because you are leaving the clippings they do not care that you mulched, in fact they come to prefer it. I bagged for twenty two years before I wised up. I converted 100% of my accounts to mulching and have not lost one.