Guys who have other full time jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DamonKeith, Feb 7, 2005.

1. DamonKeith

DamonKeith LawnSite Member

I graduated college and work as a Sr. Logistics Analyst full time. However, I really want to start the lanscaping business I have always dreamed of, but bills will not allow me to just up and quit my job.

My dad retired a year ago, and mowed some yards the past year to just keep busy, but he gained some more customers and some equipment. I want to use Him and his equipment to start my business. I am looking for the best way to utilize Him as he helps me grow this business. Looking to start off with some small commercial contracts and maybe some high end residential. Starting off primarily doing maintenance.

Any advice from those of you who have started your business while maintaining another full time job would be helpful. Also, how do I utilize my Dad to his full potential in the day to day operations? His background is, ex-NFL player, Supervisor for Dallas county Juvenile, and now he is happily retired ready to do anything to keep busy. He is very knowledgeable of mow blow, trim, and tree service, but the growing the business to accomodate commercial contrat needs, is gonna have to be my cup of tea. Thanks,

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Like most guys who are just starting out and have a full time job they do the work after the regular job and on the weekends.You did not say what are your hours at your present job?

Welcome to Lawnsite.

3. Greenhorn1980

Greenhorn1980 LawnSite Member

Sounds awesome to have your dad with you on this. Especially as a retiree. If he already has the small residential contracts under his belt from last year, have him work those during the day or whatever while you are at work. Start the commercial work when you are off duty and can help. Best thing I can think of is to have open communication between the two of you. As a retiree, I imagine he wants something to pass the time with, but not that enslaves him.

4. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

I have a full time job, work 4 days of 10.5hrs, three days off, rotate days off every month. I do most of my lawn care on two of my days off and save the third for the family. I do have a helper, so if I can't get to some lawns, he can do them. So far, your plan sounds good. Good luck.