Guys who wear glasses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I wear prescription glasses :dizzy: and need some safety glasses. What do you guys do about this. Are there any safety glasses that will work with prescription glasses or do I just go down and get the Optometrist to make me some prescription safety glasses kinda like what Norm wears on this old house:dizzy:

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I would go the prescrption safety glasses route. You can buy oversize plastic safety glasses that fit over your normal prescription glasses, but they're heavy and slide down your nose unless you use an elastic strap to keep them in place. Either way they're not comfortable. The other alterative is a full face shield. I use one when I'm using a chain saw or hedge trimmer and it keeps saw dust and clippings from flying in your face when working overhead.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

one of my employees run into this problem, it took us about 9 pairs of safety glasses before we found ones that fit him

4. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Mike,
    My son wears glasses and has this special kind with a strap that he wears when he's playing baseball.They look like little goggles and they're tinted.He says they are very comfortable and stay in place really well.Something like that may work for you.The cost was around $200.

5. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat. I do home improvement and got tired of saw dust etc., getting behind my regualr glasses. I invested in a pair of Rx safety glasses w/ the "wings" on the ear piece. Very stylish (NOT) but hey, God only gave me two eyes!

Joe

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear a full face shield attached to ear muffs over my glasses. Echo makes this product and I bought it from a local dealer. Works very well, especially when string trimming. Only problem is the mesh face mask makes it a bit hard to see at times.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Hey AllStar - I used to wear those for hockey and baseball. I thought they looked goofy, but man did they do the job. If you get ones that fit perfectly, you won't be disappointed.

Have you ever thought about contacts? Thats the route I finally went (in third grade) and have been wearing them since. Now I just go to the gas station and buy some Fakely's (fake oakleys) You can get 2 pair for $10.

8. Contacts are the way 2 go 4 sure--just keep solution in ur vehicle.

9. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've used the ELVEX overspecs for three years now with no problems. They're light weight and the earpieces are adjustable. There may be something better but they works for me at present.

Larry

10. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

I have a pair of Prescription safety glasses made at Lenscrafters for about $160.00 that are as comfortable as my regular specs. They even have side shields and these are all I wear when mowing,trimming,blowing,hedging. Check with Lenscrafters. I have used the sport safety glasses but did not like the strap around the head.