Guys with 1 man operations - Does your wife get involved with Business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hummingbird3d, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hummingbird3d

hummingbird3d LawnSite Member

I'm getting into this 1 man lawn care business because I've always wanted to be my own boss and make my own command decisions. Right now that feels great, however, I am wondering how many of you in this 1 man business category do all the decision making, like with deciding purchases, advertising and when and what to do with YOUR business.:cool2:
  2. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Heeelllllll no!
  3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

1 man = 1 man. Wife has her own job.
  4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My gal's job is to listen to me b!tch about cranky customers! :realmad:

Catharsis is healthy...especially when dealing with nimrod's. :laugh:
  5. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

My wife is generally a pain in the butt on a job site, However she does ALL the invoices, ad work, some phone calls, ect. Nothing that requires her to be along side me. She also works at her own job so she really doesnt have time to come out with me. Plus i can barely get her to mow our yard..
  6. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane LawnSite Member

Solo op is just that. MY business my decisions, wife has her own job.
  7. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Lets be honest here. I talk to my significant other about the biz. The problem is she just doesnt understand when I talk equipment. To truly understand this biz like any other you need to be in it daily using the tools and doing the work. She has gotten to the point where she notices things when we are driving as far as quality and how something was cut. But when it comes to how to do it or why I need this or that she has no idea and could really care less as long as money is being made.
  8. saylorsdad

saylorsdad LawnSite Member

my wife is stay at home mom, I work full time teaching then go and mow in the afternoons. She will go with me and hop on the big ztr for larger jobs while I trim. Cuts down the time on each yard and we don't split the pay, only thing is prepare to constantly have to go help with equipment "starting it, getting it unstuck, ect." not a big deal if you can work together, if not then don't try it.
  9. BCarlson

BCarlson LawnSite Member

I know what your asking, Depending on the state, a solo operation or sole prorietorship also means the wife owns half of the business. Make sure she knows that you need to build equipment in the beginning and need good equipment..not Walmart Brand equipment. Have the wife take calls do billing while you work and do bidding. If she is willing and able to help on the bigger jobs let her work by your side but you're the boss on the job. If she works also set up a budget and up to a certain amount of income from the business goes towards household expenses and anything over and beyond goes towards equipment.
  10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not solo but a small operation. Had my wife work with me full time for about a year.....drove me nuts. She's back to work now full time elsewhere but I do have her make calls for me. Just think a female voice on the other end is comforting to people?????? Anything technical I follow up.