guys with one truck/trailer..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 5, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

leaving today, i pulled into a gas station, with my trailer in tow. get gas.. but the truck won't start. turns out the fuel pump went. now i'm blocking fuel pumps, with my truck and trailer. This is happening right across the street from my mechanic. in the past, i would have just gotten a tow truck. but this is my first experience having a problem with the trailer behind me.
    i was panicing, until my brother in law was able to drop off his trailer on a job site, and come bring my trailer home (2 blocks from where i was). then my father used a tow rope and pulled me aross the street to the mechanic (i didn't want to speng $95 hook up fee to get taken 60 feet, litterally.

i was fortuneate to get in touch with people, but what could i have dome if i couldn't get a hand?? i would have been screwed. do you guys have experience with this?

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I sometimes worry that will happen with the trailer on, but my trailer is only 5*8 and open so it's light enough to move by hand out of the way or into a customer's driveway for a short time if needed. I could also take the 36" off, bungee the trimmers to it and pull the smaller mower behind me and get home that way riding the mower (I've done it!). Then lock the trailer wheels until I could get it later. My farthest acct is about 3 miles or so from home base. Fortunately, my folks live close and have a hitch on jeep if needed also. When my truck is in shop during weekdays I sometimes ride the mower around and do as much as I can so as not to get too far behind. Talk about looking funny, I have a full set of equipment, but no truck or trailer. I had my bro with me once and he sat on engine, I was on sulky with the 21" hooked over back left leg and bp blower on my back. He was holding the trimmer and a gas can was strapped on to mower. I have a big picture of it on my wall and it's everyone's favorite! There are always ways.

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Ps, being done at 11:30 today is awesome.

4. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

If you call for a tow tell them you have a trailer, most towing companies have at least 1 flat bed. Truck goes on flat bed and there is usually a wheel lift with ball adapter or hitch on the back of flat bed to tow the trailer.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It happened to me last year, finished the job @ customer's house right in front of it, my truck wouldn't start, kept cranking till battery weak. I ended up calling a tow truck and left my trailer and equipment in front of customers'
    It turned out the main relay, and fuel relay went bad at power box, luckily same day a few hours later I went back to hitch my trailer.
    I think the worst part is how to pull out your 600+ lbs hydro WB or 1000 lbs Z out of customer's lawn when it died! I sweated like pig one time, trying push my 52" eXmark back to trailer even both hydro valves were relieved...boy, sweat dropped like leaking water tank all the way, now that was pain.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I never really thought about it since I work so close to home but it wouldn't be a big deal. Ask for permission to store the trailer on the lot until I get get back with a loaner truck. Unload the mowers, take the trailer off the truck and have the truck towed or whatever it takes. AAA would take care of the towing. Hook the trailer to the Dixie and move it where I need it to go. Load the mowers back up and lock everything up tight. Then I get a ride.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a hard time with the fact your mechanic wouldn't give you a hand getting it to his shop cross the street. Down here always someone you know coming by or within distance to help you out. Glad it all worked out for you.

8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

My trailer is a 5 x 9 and I have a trailer jack w/ a wheel on the front of it, so in your situation, I would have been able to unhitch the trailer and then roll it out of the way. Then I would have just needed to have the truck towed to the shop.

I have another small SUV that I really should have a tow hitch installed on so I would be able to pull my trailer with it in an emergency.

BTW, what kind of truck do you have?

9. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

With the fuel pump problem I'm guessing he has a '96-'98 Chevy or GMC :rolleyes: That does suck though. Like other, my trailer is onlt a 4'x8' and i could unhook it and move it if needed by hand. My family used to be in the body shop/wrecker business and we still have 2 wreckers that I play around with and use aroudn the house to move things, so I would probably tow myself ;) in that situtation if I was close enough to home.

10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

First thing I would be doing is getting AAA for these kind of things. My fuel pump went out a month or so ago. Fortunately I have another truck but I needed a friend to bring it to me. But before that I just borrowed my friends truck. BTW he was the guy that I bought the business off of. Thankfully you were able to get help in getting your trailer out of there.