guys with zspray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by arborist, Apr 12, 2014.

1. arborist

arborist LawnSite Member

I recently just purchased a z spray 36 I have the spread pattern and rate dialed in. I think I am going to fast because at end of a couple yards I didn't use enough product I think I might be traveling to fast. I use John Deere/lesco 19-0-6 at 4lbs per 1000 sqft. What speed do you guys travel at to get the right amount down

2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

what speed are you running..

also this is where calibration comes in....

3. arborist

arborist LawnSite Member

Im running around 6 mph
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Are you factoring in over spread? I'm sure you may be applying some to drives, beds and walks. That could easily add up to a few pounds per lawn.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Start with a whole bag. Measure carefully how many sqft you covered. Reduce your speed as needed. If you applied 20 percent less than you intended--reduce your speed 20 percent. Try to hit between 100 and 110 percent of your ideal rate. Consider driving slower on crabgrass-prone areas--thin, near road, previous history of crab.

Be sure you keep your swath consistent and allow for overlap to feather the edges.

About how many feet of overlap do you plan to use?

6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with riggle your going to have to work this out with the maching. I myself think the 6 mph is alittle fast unless your doing very open fields or something if your doing 5-10k sq ft of turf your asking for trouble. I think most on here who have a z spray including myself I calibrated it with 5mph as my speed..

you might calibrate it at 5mph and 6mph and write the 6 down if you get to a open field or go higher then 6 on open fields

7. arborist

arborist LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I got it down to 4 mph at 4 lbs per 1,000 and im applying my spread to the next tire mark on my pass. I think im pretty well dialed in since the job I just did the other day calls for 6 bags and I used a little over 5 but I was also treating a large steep hill so consistency with spread width isn't always perfect.

8. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the club, you will never look back using a Z.:)

9. arborist

arborist LawnSite Member

Thanks so far I like it

10. ryhenry09

ryhenry09 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hey fellas. Im in same boat. Just bought new JR-36.

Im noticing that my granular is spreading extremely far to the front (shooting about 15' or more). Is this normal? Tough to control around beds/drives, etc.

Thanks for any input.