gxv390 carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bmac1982, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bmac1982

bmac1982 LawnSite Member

I recently cleaned my carb and remounted the other night. Ive noticed its leaking fuel where it mounts to the mower. Ive already ordered the mounting gasket to see if that fixes the problem just wondering if thats normal. The carb has been on the machine for 19 years. The mower only has 51 hours on it though. Good barn find. Thanks!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Gasket is not what you need, The float needle valve isn't shutting off fuel flow..... Replacing it should solve the issue.....

3. bmac1982

bmac1982 LawnSite Member

Believe me my expierience doesnt allow me to question you, but it wasnt leaking till i took carb off and put back on. The carb was kinda stuck on the gasket when I took off originally. If it was a float problem wouldnt it come out of overflow hose. Thank you!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't you take the carb off to clean it ?

The float needle valve was likely stuck closed or there was no fuel left in the bowl...... The only way fuel will leak out of a gasket is if the float needle valve isn't seating properly.

If your still uneasy with replacing the float needle valve post the two or three digit spec letters and or numbers and the serial number off your crankcase and I'll look at your carb.....

These numbers are here;

[​IMG]