Gypsum?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Steve9, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I live in Texas where we have nothing but hard a@@ clayto grow our grass on. Aeration is popular and helps but I was at Home Depot yesterday and they had pallets of Gypsum (sp?) layed out. The bag stated that it works to break up hard clay soils and works like a million tiny hoes to loosen your soil and help it breathe. Anybody use this and can you tell me how it worked for you?

2. yes

need to have the proper base saturations for it to be real effective

doesn't effect the ph

3. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

when is a good time to apply gypsum to soil?

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i like fall but will do it when needed throughout the season

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

does it matter what brand you buy? or are all gypsums the same?

6. If high salt levels in soil, apply when needed and irrigatein, if trying to reduce the ability of soil to be held tightly, add when areifying.

7. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

So you dont just apply it with a spreader? It has to be worked into the soil? Can somebody give detailed instructions on applying this stuff?

8. Back in the early 80's on old pushed up greens, we areified on 2" centers, applied gypsum, verticut plugs, and drag in soil!

Can't remember rate, but greens look white!

9. Back in the early 80's on old pushed up greens, we areified on 2" centers, applied gypsum, verticut plugs, and drag in soil!

Can't remember rate, but green look white!

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

You for got to say Gypsum will mess up CEC. It will wash out all your fertilizer.