1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

H-2B: Is it worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IGI Editorial, Dec 18, 2007.

1. IGI Editorial

IGI Editorial LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I write for an industry magazine and am doing some research on the labor shortage with a focus on the H-2B program. I'm wondering:

-Why is there a labor shortage? What's causing it?
    -What are your experiences with the H-2B program and H-2B workers?
    -How much time lapses between filing the paperwork and when the workers actually arrive?
    -Have you used an outside agency to file your paperwork? If so, how effective was this agency?
    -If you do use H-2B workers, do you do anything special to help them transition into working for your company?
    -What, in your opinion, would help the H-2B program?

Finally, if you are interested in speaking further for the purpose of being quoted in the article, please include your contact information.

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses.

IGI Editorial
  2. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

there is no labor shortage, just a shortage of people who arent lazy. it's easy to find labor, they will just not show up after a month.

this is because people in America do not see jobs such as these as what they will do for the rest of their lives, so it's not taken seriously.
    Individuals in other countries who see $10/hr as a good job, and this type of work as the work they will always do, are willing to invest the time with a company to help build it.
  3. turftrimmer

turftrimmer LawnSite Member

All the biggest companies use this program, hence they are the biggest for a reason. They use systematic strategies and this is how they get their employees. Haven't used myself but if you get to a certain size business, the h-2b is inevitable. No one wants to work in America and there are plenty of immigrants who will.
  4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

You will find many responses about american workers the same. I am a small company which has been trying to grow for 3 years now but because of labor issues with american workers, it throws me right back to where I started. The other poster said it right, there are plenty of workers, but very few lazy ones. My average american worker lasts for 3 weeks. Some as little as half a day. I pay fair for this area for someone with NO experience.

I find the H2B program is initially too difficult to navigate through and to get someone to help you is pretty expensive. I know of several companies in this area that use H2B workers all the time and are unsure of what the spring will bring.