H-bar steering?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Butchs Lawn, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Butchs Lawn

Butchs Lawn LawnSite Member

been looking at hustler any body using short cut model?whats that h-bar steering like?what about heat from the engine does it hit the operater?whats that saddle seating like?with no back support ?thanx"s for input.

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had a shortcut for a year. loved it when it ran. I had multiple problems with safety and ignition switches, and a dealer that took 2 weeks to fix each problem. the dealer said if I bypassed the safety switches they would void my warranty.I had the 25 horse 54" model, and my employees would fight over who got to ride it. we ran the engine at 3800 or so, and it was fast, and would mow smooth at top speed. ( probably 11-12) you can stand or sit, but sitting is a bit rough on the tush on bumpy lawns . standing or sitting, it feels alot like riding a 4-wheeler. I love the h-bar, the cut, the "shortness",the speed and traction. I hated not seeing my mower for 12 weeks during growing season.I traded for an inferior machine, grasshopper, but had a great dealer that kept me mowing. we now have a hutler walk with the H-bar, and employees learn it in minutes. I'd look at the super z if you go new. Dave g

3. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i love the h-bar , but i had a few safety switches
    go bad so i ripped them out cause they
    were junk.

Mows good and fast and is very lightweight
    compact and mulches great for the fall
    with 48 in shortcut. we do not bag nada.

4. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I love my Shortcut. I have an older model that gives you the option of standing or sitting. Mine is a 20 horse Kohler with a 48" side discharge deck. I have a bagging kit that I use on one property, otherwise I side discharge. Sometimes when the grass is wet and or very tall it does not discharge too well but for the most part it has a nice quality of cut. It is an extremely manuverable machine but it could stand a little more weight on the drive tires.

Overall I highly recomend this machine.