1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

H-Bar vs. ECS Controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Red Hemlocker, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Looking for input. Gonna be doing a lot of side slope mowing. Thinking of the Hustler Super W/B 54". Controls need to be comfortable while maneuvering.
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just do yourself a favor, find a dealer and demo the H bar for a full day. ECS is fine and much better than old pistol grips, however, the H bar is new technology.
    If you demo the H bar for 10 minutes , you'll hate it because it's impossible get used to something so different when you've used pistol grips for years.
    Good luck,
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If you can try this....jack up the rear of an ECS unit & a H-Bar unit and play with the controls while watching the wheel spin..this way you get a good feel for how well the levers or bar control each individual wheel..
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And while he's at, maybe he should practice putting his soda can in and out of the Hustler's cup holder......... just to get the feel for how well the can be grabbed.
  5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will have a hard time finding anything easier to operate than the H-bar! You can operate it with one hand and have all the control you need. With very little experience you will be able to control each wheel individually if you need to. I do know a lot of companies are coming out with better controls on there walk-behinds so thatÂ’s is going to benefit all of us. Demo all the machines on your properties for at least one day each. I have the 25/54 and I think it will be very hard to get a better control system than the H-bar. And it does great on my hills!

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

in tight maneuvers where I once used a 21" mower.

You can mow and do everything one handed on the Hustler walkbehind with the H-bar steering, with some practice, turns, backing up etc. just like J Gordon said...kenny

cofields patio.jpg
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I say buy the pistol grip machine, run it for 2 years until you have carpal tunnel and then you will appreciate the Hustler H bar even more. We believe in our Hustler WB. It will take a couple of weeks to get real good on it, but you will .
  8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i have sold the exmark for 10 years and the ecs is one of the best
    controll systems i have used that was true up utill 2 years ago
    and i started selling hustlers once you get used to them and it won't take long there is nothing that comes close.
  9. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a large walk. How is the H bar when it comes to hill mowing? How can you lift up the front of the mower when approaching a curb or other obstacle? I need a mower than can handle slopes and I am considering a TT or super walk.
  10. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Buying the Hustler Super W/B. I got a great deal from what I see. Demo unit low hours, full warantee, $5400.00 with optional wheel brake and 3 sets of blades.