H&H open trailer set up ideas.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rizzo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Alrighty then, I sold my enclosed trailer with the barn doors and got this one so it would be easier to maneuver in small neighborhoods. I bought a mig welder today and am chomping to make some tool racks and an equipment box (I did get a shock when I saw how the price of metal has gone up). I have searched several threads and like some of the raised mesh boxes. I will most likely put my blower, trimmer w/attachments, gas cans and other small items in the raised mesh box. I will not use trimmer racks as I have only the one. I do need ideas for how to hold long handled tools since I park the trailer inside the garage. I will not carry the pressure washer around normally.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

DSC03166.JPG

DSC03190.JPG

DSC03192.JPG

DSC03193.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Some one could get seriously hurt if one of those springs snap. I would make an enclosure for them.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, I was thinking the same thing! If you have never been witness to a garage door spring breaking you don't understand the amount of force they have in them. I wouldn't enclose them, since it would only cover half the spring when it's extended. Use some wire rope (aircraft cable) and run it through the middle of the springs and anchor each end of the cable securely.

Wait, now that I think about it, that wouldn't work either... The way it should be set up is like the EZ Gate or the Backsaver models are set up. I'd much rather spend the $200 and know I'm not going to be impailed by a spring someday...

4. Rizzo

from Iowa

Ok, 1 post is enough on the springs breaking and killing someone, myth. Thankyou for the concern. Maybe it would be better to be sliced by frayed wire attached to a spring instead of a spring that is attached at both ends to 3/8 eye bolts. Sorry to rant. It's not personal but physics just isn't on the side of the killer spring therory when it is attached at both ends. I was going to make it the same way every one else has on this site but there were only posts saying that the cables were breaking and not a single one of a spring breaking (on a trailer that is). I will be running safety lines through the center of the spring and attached to the eyebolts this week. There is really not that much tension on these springs the way I have it set up. Thanks again for the concern though. Now, how about them ideas for the tool racks!?

5. Rizzo

from Iowa

What is with the spring phobia. When attached to a garage door they are hooked to cables and therefor have some distance to travel and will do serious damage. When attached in the manor as on my trailer they don't stretch nearly as far as they do in a garage and are much more closely attached to each end. I'll let you know when they break mmmkay.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Good way to take advice on the springs:hammerhead: :hammerhead: I would definately do something about those, as they ARE dangerous the way they are. And for racks, you can't beat Trimmer Trap for equipment.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, how bouts calm down a bit there. you can research all you want, just because every spring that has broken hasn't been recorded in the history books dosn't mean they don't break. Not to mention the pinch hazzard there is there. But you don't want to hear it...

You obviously have researched everything, even said you have looked at many took boxes ect. So why are you here looking for ideas? You are probably not going to want all the weight on the trailer to be right on top of and behind the axle either. Looks like you have about no tounge weight set up like that. Of course once you build the metal box and stock it up that should help counter that.

8. Rizzo

from Iowa

I guess nobody can get past the pictures and just skipped all the information above them. Read the posts completely before commenting please. What a waste of time. I said I will be fabricating the racks and not trimmer racks. Also, I already ran 3/16 cable through the center of the springs when I installed them today but am going to get different cable later this week as I posted earlier. Come on guys. Just read the post and help. I'm not stupid and unsafe. I posted earlier my plans for the retention of the springs. Now can we get past this and on to the thread topic? Thank you.

9. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Forget about the springs breaking look at the eye bolt that it is attached to. We are just looking out for you dude, accidents happen and we wouldn't want to see anybody get hurt, you should really look into getting an engineered system. BTW nice trailer.

10. Rizzo

from Iowa

The equipment is just being stored on the trailer right now. It's not the way I'm going to tow it. Nevermind, this thread is broken already. I asked for ideas on long handled tool racks because I park in a garage and can't have them sticking straight up. You guys are assuming to much from the pics. I will omit them in the future. This is a current work in progress and the photos were just to give a visual of what will be on the trailer as it is not nearly complete yet, i.e. the spring cables. I have not started for this season yet so it has not even gone down the road with the equipment yet. Thanks anyway. My posts are not written angry or hot headed so don't think that please. I'm mid 30's and my job involves safety and engineering at times. I just didn't want the thread to become about spring safety....