1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

H.O.A. issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Morningside, May 10, 2008.

1. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

How should i handle this situation? I maintain two entry ways (4 beds) and an exterior wall surrounding a neighborhood in a nice area for the last three years this being the start of the fourth. a new H.O.A. president was elected some ten months ago.since then i have not been paid twice at the same time. one month it will come within a week of the invoice but usually it comes any where from the second week until the last day of the month. once it was six weeks late. today i rec'd a payment for march (six weeks late). no payment for april,.again working on six weeks. they will not return phone calls (ever) only handwritten notes at the bottom of my invoices. Any SUGGESTIONS?
  2. browningv308

browningv308 LawnSite Member

drop them like a hot rock the new pres. was hired by the neighborhood and they will likely stand behind him or talk to the old pres. and try to get him to help
  3. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

the old pres thinks the new pres is unable to handle the stress of writing two checks in one month. i think this will only get worse. the thing i like about it is that there is never someone waiting for me on site to add time doing something that should have already been scheduled (homeowners) but i smell a fish. i dont like fish.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Keep on working..........I think it would be easy to legally get money from an HOA if the worst comes to it. Is there a property manager that handles payments? Usually a president don't run the day to day operations.
  5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

is there a due date on your invoices? all my invoices have due dates on them and payment must be received by that day or a late fee will occur.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

Do you charge late fees? If you don't inform ALL your customers you are going to start. (you can decide wether or not to charge which clients when you send the bills...i.e. little ole lady who is a week late no....)

Then just start charging them late fees and don't worry about when the check comes in, as long as it does.

I have worked for alot of schools and municipalities, checks always come 90 days...when the do all at once. (90 days worth)

Just one of those things you have to put up with.

Decide ifyou want the client, if you do, just know payments are going to be 6 weeks out.
  7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

HOA's in Texas are easy to get money out of for contracted work.
    I know as my company services four of them.
    Simply write a polite demand letter, keeping it short, basically saying due to the inconsistent remittance of payment due for contracted services a flat rate service charge of 18% of the invoice amount will be billed after net 10 days.
    Usually the HOA President is not the individual actually writing the checks, it is the Treasurer with the Board of Directors' permission whom will issue the necessary checks.
    I would word the letter along the lines of:
    Dear Sir or Ma'am, pursuant to the observed lack of timely payments received by (your company name) a service charge of 18% will be applied to all subsequent invoices for services rendered when payment is not received with-in ten business days. This policy is being implemented to address the frequent late payments of (here is where you mention ALL of the late payments received).
    Sincerely, your name.
    The only way in the state of Texas this will not work is when you have an existing contract that does not allow service charges for late payments or NSF checks.
    Remember, HOA's are registered entities with-in the state of Texas and as such are legally liable to operate according to their respective by-laws and applicable ordinances of what ever county the HOA is registered with-in.
  8. miniZ

miniZ LawnSite Member
    from DFW Z8

Tack on a late fee and finance charge for each 30 days the balance remains unpaid. Well within your legal rights. Put the due date and terms on every invoice so there is never any question about you informing them of the additional fees.
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

You got that right! I tack on a late fee for every 10 day period that a customer is late--it's in my contract. At 30 days, suspend service. Take back your power, and your pride for gosh sakes! They don't own you, you own them! payup
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

How come you People dont treat your business Like a Business ?

HAve you ever seen an electric bill ? a phone bill ? a water bill ?

pay this ammount by the 10 th...........

pay This ammount after the 10 th.....

after 30 days your cut off.......

after 45 days we start collections.........

your the problem......

people like you make it hard for the rest of us... letting people get a way with things like this ... then wanna come here and cry acout it.....

I let these people screw me over and now I wanna cry to you guys.....

O please.... tito get me a tissue.....

I wonder why there's NOT a law, to fine people who let others get away with non payment....

you sir should have to pay, or go to jail....