H.O.A. or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shea, Feb 20, 2007.

1. shea

shea LawnSite Member

We primarily care for residential lawns with a few commercial thrown in, but I've been thinking about looking into the Home Owner Associations. What have your experiences been with H.O.A.s?
  2. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Me personally, I won't do H.O.A.'s Everyone in the place is now your boss.Too much of a pain to me.
  3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

yeah you've got that right. i mow a place with 63 homes, half think they can tell me what THEY want......haha, not in this lifetime.

get a well written contract, get a good price, follow that contract word for word, no more, no less. when they say something was "wrong" consult the contract, and charge them for everything single extra thing they want, including your wasted time when they're wrong.

it was very stressful for me at first, i took my advice above, and things have been good since. i just don't take their crap anymore, and i told them if they piss me off, they can find someone new, but i won't tell them that until the day it needs mowed. keeps them on their toes.
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We refuse to work for HOAs anymore. Never again. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS problems.

Put it this way; when you do a standard residential maintenance account, you just have to please one or two people. When you maintain an area for an HOA, you have to please 125 people - all at the same time. And no matter how good of a job you do, I guarantee you'll be hearing from several of them complaining about some stupid thing almost every week.

Not worth it! I'd rather have a hot coffee enema than do work for an HOA again.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I avoid HOA like the plague. Like everyone said, you now have many boss's instead of one.
  6. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Ya'll are giving me nightmares about my last job as a golf course superintendent. H.O.A.'s sound just like a country club, you can make one group happy, then the next group is upset about what you did to make the others happy. When I started this business I made a promise to myself I would never do H.O.A's because of this reason.

What about the entry ways to subdivisions. Have you guys had good luck with these. I am a little leary of them, but a few of my customers are head of their repective P.O.A. and I have though about persuing some of these accounts since I am already in the neighborhood.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e been working for a small one for about 4 years now (12 homes) and i'm doing a leaps and bounds better job than the previous LCO. The last guy told me they all were whiners and complained all the time. Since Iv'e been doing it they have all been extremely happy. Outside of a couple of things, got accused of hitting some siding and rutting a lawn when it was wet. Also have a battle of the sprinkler controler, one guy thinks he's the sprinkler god and continues to flood their area when the other 8 homes are just fine with the times I set. managable problem though. I started locking the controler box sometimes!

Just took on another HOA for this year, only 9 homes in this one, but growing. Hoping for the best this season. They were not satisified with their previous provider either, but I looked at it and I feel they are just with their decision. Just hope I can do better! I have faith in me though... Biggie is that trubrown is NOT going to be doing the apps anymore, I will be. And that was 75% of why all the lawns looked bad...
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was referring to. What else would you do, in terms of maintenance, for an HOA? Anyway, that's all we ever did was entry ways. And every week we had 5 people calling and complaining about something stupid. This happened on several different HOA entry ways. I finally just decided it wasn't worth all the headache.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

From my experiences HOA's were OK until they person you dealt with left their office...then the trouble would start...Mrs. Johnson leaves office and Mr. Smith steps in, and Mr. Smith is trying to re-invent the wheel so to speak. The lifespan on an HOA is typically short...kinda like a girlfriend in high school...it's not bad for a little while then it ends abruptly...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dealt with a few wacko homeowners...my standard line was to tell them all complaints/concerns must first go thru the board...for the most part that would work. Usually these people lived next to a chunk of common area and would try to convince the crew that the property line was "really over here..." :laugh:
  10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

All I can say is FORGETABOUTIT! Life is to short.