1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shea, Feb 20, 2007.

1. shea

shea LawnSite Member

We primarily take care of residential lawns with a few commercial thrown in. I've been thinking about looking into the Home Owner Associations. Do you guys have any experience with H.O.A.s good or bad?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was just going to reply....I've had some good experiences with a few h.o.a.s. in my day, but then I saw the thread was about associations....:laugh:

No, in all seriousness, if you do a search, there is a world of information on this very subject.
  3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

They are alright. Sometimes the President or Vice President steps on your toes.
  4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

What we usually find is that the bidding process and offering goes through a secondary management company. These companies are usually fair and their main concern is getting the job done RIGHT. If not, the HOA Board's raise he%$ with them. These are usually pretty profitable opportunities.
    Good luck!! Spring is coming and Grass is growing!
  5. shea

shea LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input.
  6. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

i service 3 at this time more next year ..its contract money so you get paid regardless of whetehr the grass grows or not...pita though..just remember there the customer..any complaints request tell them to go through the management company..no matter how good of a job you do there will always be someone that gonna complain
  7. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

I'm working for one right now. The company before me did very little yet they were there for like 10 years. We got in the place and turned it all around but now during the slow months people are wondering why we don't cut every week or why we are not working as heavy as in the spring and summer. Essentially they got used to seeing us do something and now that it is pretty much done for the winter, they want us to do more. I guess we became our own worst enemy here. The money is good but you can't keep everyone happy....complaints range from the grass too high, the grass too short, the mowers too loud, you mow too fast, why can't you cut my area later/earlier, why aren't you hedging/weeding/cutting trees today......while we are obviously doing one of the other things at that time. I know the President and I hired him to work with me, he fields all complaints and quells any upheavel. Smart on my part.
  8. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an association property that I take care of. This is a subdivison with out 250 properties and about 12 acres of common ground to maintain. The board I deal with is great. The flip side is you have a ton of people that think you are working directly for them. They will stop you while you are working to ask all kinds of questions. I usually just listen and tell them to contact the board with their concerns. Never seem to hear from the board then.

Everyone always wants it done their way.
  9. medimac

medimac LawnSite Member

You better hurry if you are going to jump into HOA's. Alot of those bids were probably already due. The ones we bid on were due the first week of Feb.
  10. rogers lawn care

rogers lawn care LawnSite Member

who do you contact to bid on hoa's?