H2b 3 day ads for temp. positions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bushog, Jan 29, 2007.

1. bushog

bushog LawnSite Member

.... How do you get around hiring the few responses you may get from the ads that you are required to run ?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are you AVOIDING hiring Americans? The H2B program is like any other government program (like welfare) and to undermine it's purposes is wrong! You are not supposed to avoid hiring Americans just to cash in on a lower pay rate and stability. That is supporting illegal immigration!

H2B is part of the Immigration Reform Act which gives Mexicans the opportunity to work labor positions that CANNOT be filled by Americans. You, my friend, are an enemy to this country when you cheat to win!!!

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that trying to go around the system is not right, but I had a nightmare last 2 years trying to get some good workers(americans). They all want to work, need to work and will work as many hours as needed. Until it comes time to work. Last year I was the grand marshal of the loser's ball, I had 7 employees and the longest any of them worked was a month. That is ridiculous and does not say much about our workforce.
    Mabey he has had similar problems, nightmares with the American workforce.l

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

In my day job I used to do a lot of hiring and firing. It's always funny to remind deadbeats how they begged me for a job and to give them a try. Then a few short weeks later they don't do crap and feel we can't survive without them. We had 90 days probation period very very few made it. 90 days is a long time for a deadbeat to play act. It doesn't take that long to see through them.

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Most can't act for 30 days.

6. Team-Green L&L

Most will show signs in 3 days. Excuses, excuses, excuses. But the problem may be your company (sorry, didn't mean to go there). Step back and ask yourself, "Would I work for me?" Does your company offer benefits (that Americans need), does your company have good incentives: paid training, college reimbursement, bonuses?

The American workforce is more demanding of their employers, and should be because the employers are making more money than they would elsewhere. It is simply greedy to reduce labor rates by outsourcing and still charge "American Prices". It is also unfair to American companies to reduce pricing because of outsourcing, so how do we meet in the middle? How about coming out of that pocket for the benefits that "GOOD" American employees are looking for?

By hiring through H2B you're supporting the idea that we should pay 33% of our wages to support the 100,000 immigrants in the country that aren't paying that 33% and you're the guy bringing all those "leeches" into this country with your "purchasing power". Doesn't it seem like a vicious cycle to bring illegal (I don't care about the policies) aliens into America (along with their families), have them work the jobs that Americans would be doing (if the employers would supply the proper benefits and wages), let their families use our public funds because of their lack of benefits in this country, have that income be tax-free, let those wages into another economy (thus depreciating ours), and do it all over again the following year right up until there is enough illegal immigrants in this country to fight for their rights (as every other foreign intruder has). All the while, reducing the value of your services because of your efforts.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My day job was at a factory with Union workers. I was once the Chief Steward so I know how things go. I was the Plant Manager when I did the hiring and firing. We have benefits, etc even had a pension until the employees voted it away. It's construction related so there are layoffs every year but there is recall rights and benefits covered partly.
    Some guys just want a free ride.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

While many large corporations have turned to outsourcing to reduce labor costs, I don't think that really applies to most LCO's...most of whom are just trying to find somebody that will show up for work and do the work each day.

The way I look at it...you gotta start somewhere as an employee...too many young Americans want to spend their nights out partying or whatever, out til 3-4 am then can't make it to work...but still they feel they are worth $15 an hour :laugh: If you can't prove yourself worthy in an entry level job than how will you ever actually make any money? Who will pay you with a sorry resume?

It would be nice if every small business could offer comprehensive benefits, but for a lot of businesses that's a few years down the road at least.

9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Andrew as an Operations Mgr you should know why he's asking the question. Unless you're one of the knee jerk reaction types who really think the "Mexicans" are taking all of the "Americans" jobs. He's trying to avoid the heartache and pain that is dealing with the "American" workforce. Before you jump in....no not all but indeed most. Those of you who run real companies with real budgets and real customers will fully understand why the question was posted. Most here know my views on this subject so I'll not beat that horse.

10. Team-Green L&L

I can appreciate the reasoning here, I cannot appreciate the methods. I believe that America is suffering at the hands of it's own leaders and has been for years. I believe we, as business owners (the economy) are the backbone of America's power. Because I believe both these things, I also believe that WE can make a difference. If we work with our youth and give them incentives to be better and get them to build work ethics through repetition and habit, then we can secure a brighter future for our children. By "throwing away" our own labor force due to it's shortcomings, we are merely destroying ourselves. When should we start taking responsibility for our own actions? My company is not large and struggles to make ends meet, but we will train our employees, we will pay them a bonus at the end of the season, and we will supply them with the structure to become great assets to our community. That is OUR job and duty to our patrons (the community). Oh yeah, and we will hire from within the community that supports us!!!