1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

H2B program full

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pacific Nursery, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

I've been using workers from the H2B program for four years, this would be my fifth. Mostly the same guys, just adding more each year as necessary.
    Today I have been informed that INS is not giving out anymore visas. :realmad: I started the process in the fall of last year, just like every year.
    This is really going to be a BIG problem. Can't find local help to match/meet the quality of workmanship and level of dedication that my foreign workers had. Not to mention that some of them had become like family.
    I've shot off a letter to my senators and representative.
    What can I do? Any other way to get these guys back? :help:
  2. llama

llama LawnSite Member

Hire Americans and help the economy.
  3. Pacific Nursery

If these are the kind of smart a** answers I'm going to get, keep them to yourself.
  4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Saw you were from St. Louis have a friend that uses hispanic and doesnt go through H2b uses the local ones. Call me if you like 795-2872. -Ted
  5. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Not trying to ba an a-s, but why would you use non americans? That is why this country is so screwed up, people like you would rather pay them 8 an hour vs paying an american 10 or 12. Then you complain when our economy takes a turn and nobody can afford your services. What really gets me is you pay them guys then they send all that money back to their relatives in various countries and that money dosent help the country YOU live in. SMART.
  6. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

Ted...what is your are code please? I need some answers from you about hiring h2b workers. Thanks.
  7. Pacific Nursery

You know No Lawncares, great name btw treat your customers that way too?
    You don't know anything about me, my company, or the labor force in my area, yet you feel obligated to tell me how I should run my business. Both you and llama have a total of 3 years in business and that makes you qualified to give "advice" to others. A real problem with forum of this type is people have the anonymity to spout off about any issue without regard for that persons situation. Contempt prior to investigation!
    I'm looking for help with my problem, came here, and meet guys like you. For that I can go to the local bar, or any corner, or for that matter the unemployment office which is full of similar people.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

llama and No lawncares,

Who cares where a person is from. Who cares who I hire to do my work. So long as I am legal and pay the taxes and everything else that needs to be done. If they are from Canada, Mexico, two houses down.

If you want to have an issue, have it with the guys paying cash to their employees, American or otherwise. That is the scrub thing and hurts the economy.

Sort of like jingoistic, racial comments and painting people with a broad brush.
  9. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Victo. Your PM is turned off so this is copied and paste. let me know if you still need my number after this just send me a PM and Ill send it to you.
    I dont know too much about hiring H2Bs. in my post I was talking about a friend I know who doesnt use H2B and just uses locals. He says as soon as he hires one loyal employee he asks or the employee recomends some friends of his. He said he was at a point where their were guys pretty much standing at his door for work all legal he claims.What I do know some of the basics about H2B from just reading about it. It ussaully takes somwhere around 6 months to get your request answered. You have to put an ad in the newspaper trying to get help and interveiw people. This proves their is no local help around. I beleive this all has to be documented some way. After all that your required to do certain things for your workers such as provide transportation once a week to do errands etc. And some other stuff. This is my understanding of it but its not all acurate.
  10. Pacific Nursery

Quite right Grassyfras. No less than 120 from start to finish and the hoops and paperwork are enormus. Documentation of attempts to hire locally must be submitted. Very costly!! However, before using H2B I was ready to close my doors, and my company was only a third of the size it is now. Couldn't get help, couldn't keep help, didn't know from one day to the next who would show up and what jobs I could schedule until a half an hour or more into the work day. Back then I could put on a hat and go do the jobs myself. Today I rarely get to do any field work. Got your # grassyfras and if it comes down to it that maybe the route I go. Retraining will be a bit**.
    This could possibly shut my doors.