ha, i fooled ya !!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Mar 27, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

guys remember when bidding or giving estimates this year that you need $ x.00 per job to make a living . when a person comes to the door dressed in rags hold your guns .do drop the price because of what the customer looks like . and dont let emotion judge the price . i have been burned before like this . they look poor as sin when you bid the job then when you get started they pull out of the garage in a hummer .

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah... It's the reason I say whenever this type of stuff comes around, I actually raise the price because in my head, whatever the price I was just thinking of has dropped (it's almost automatic, like I can't help myself...) This type of stuff throws off my guide, it totally blasts the original price out of my mind and replaces it with a new (and far lower) price. So I raise it again, and again, and again... Until I'm halfway sure I'm somewhere back in my ballpark, thou at this point I can't never be too sure anymore, so then I usually raise it some more. And no, I don't care if I'm over my original price because they wasn't going to pay that, anyhow.

Most of these types of bids I don't get but then the reason was obvious from the start: They didn't want to pay a lot of money (translation: They won't pay the going rate, not even close). So if it's a 45-dollar yard, you may find yourself blurting out 30 and then they start with trying to talk you down to 20, maybe settle for 25? Where I find if I quote 50-60, that settles it, it's over.

I did find a short and good answer over time (better than the above price war): I'm sorry, but I don't see us reaching an agreement.
    Old habits will die hard, sigh...

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I gave an estimate to a lady 1 time of 35.00, she said how about 30.00?, i replied, how about 40.00?

4. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

I just did the same thing to the owner of a local hotel (they are used to haggling). Gave them a price of $75 for cut, trim, blow. He came back with 'is that your best price?' My response was then, 'nope, $95 sounds much better now'.

5. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

People can tricky when it comes to reaching ion their wallets. Like befnme said don't let looks fool you, if they are even asking for lawn service then they know it will cost money. Usually people that have the most will cry the most over price. Let them go haggle over Buffy's violin lesson price or Braxton's Tennis racket not your price.

REV.

6. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I'm just a homeowner but I live in a fairly nice neighborhood and drive a fairly nice car. I have a habit of taking the first quote given to me if I think it's fair, and saying no thanks if I don't think it's fair. I never negotiate. I mean, if they come back to me with a better price then I'll give it an honest thought, but I just don't like haggling, and it especially makes me mad when I can tell that they're trying to see if they can get me to pay more just because they think I have deep pockets - which I don't.

Just a little consumer side perspective for ya.

Give an honest quote to start off with - don't start high for any reason, but don't give in to bargaining either unless they want to sign a contract or prepay or whatever - then it's up to you.

I do the same thing with car dealers for example - call 'em up and ask them for their best reasonable price. I tell them up front that I'm not going to play them off anyone else (I won't tell anyone else their price), but if I call someone else and they give me a better price for the same product, I'll go with them.

This seems fair to me.

7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I don't care if they drive a Hummer or a Gremlin.

I bid what I think it's worth, tell them EXACTLY what they get for that price (no more, no less) and they take it or leave it.

In other words, I do not base bids on the monetary appearance of the customer and his possessions.

If they live in a 500k house and the job is worth $40, that's what I bid. Same if it's a 75k house.

8. Where I get weak knee'ed is when the lady comes to the door dressed in short shorts and a halter top then I'm done.

9. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

So you penalize the people you know are wealthy??? You a liberal?

10. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Personally I bid the same regardless of weather I think they're rich or broke. But I do jack it up 20% if I see a Bush/Chaney bumper sticker.