Habitats for soil microbiology

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by phasthound, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

One would think the Republican Party and associates by recent rhetoric. I could have resisted but did not.:canadaflag::weightlifter::drinkup:;):usflag:

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That was a great little read...

I'm thinking now, that to get a basic understanding of what actually changes at the microbrial level, that suddenly gives the pathogen the quorum to take over,,, might have to come from garden or crop research...

3. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Susceptible host - Causal Organism - Proper Environmental Conditions. I would venture a guess that that the environmental conditions in the soil is what shifts the balance of power. A lot of warm season turf diseases begin to appear in saturated soils.

4. Smallaxe

That is exactly what one needs to know, before buying a bunch of organisms that are going to just die, becuz the environment is completely unsuited...
    I agree with your observation about 'soaked soils' for certain pathogens, proliferating, but where do they talk about the actual reasons 'why'?...

5. Grasssales2001

You might see if you can find a plant pathology text book or audit a plant pathology course at a university.

6. Grasssales2001

Sorry, can't help with the physiology of pathogenic microbes.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

So, getting back to habitats;

Last week I attended Dr. Elaine Ingham's "The Life of Soil" course at Morris Arboretum in Philly.

Some key points were;
    anaerobic soils favor pathogens while aerobic conditions favor beneficial microbes,
    adding organic matter decreases compaction and provides food for beneficials,
    inoculating soils adds beneficials which will further transform existing soil conditions into habitats which favor beneficial microbes.

The process is extremely more complicated than this, however is fairly simple to implement.

8. Smallaxe

Do certain foods(OM) in aerobic soils, do more for specific microbes than for others?

An exa., of what I'm asking is: they claim that starting out a lawn with corn meal will buildup the population of microbes that will then have the capability of digesting soybean meal...

Is it true?: that the variety of beneficials would become greater with a more diverse food...

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

10. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

In 2001 Ms. Elaine Ingham was a celebrity, fraud. Pertaining to GMO foods.
    Grouped in with GreenPeace, The Green Party and David Suzuki and Don Huber.

Any info on how she overcame this title?