Had a baby, now listen to this customer...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Icepuck72, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

We had our first, came 3 weeks sooner than planned by a C-section yesterday morning. SO, I was a little off my guard. I only do lawn care part time, and I have 15 clients. I had 6 lawns to do yesterday, called all of them. Since most of my customers are great, 5 of them were overjoyed, said don't worry, grass can always be cut next week or whenever, stay with your wife and child.

I told this one jerk of a customer if he could wait until Tues or Wed, and his response was...."well, it will be really long by then"....long pause/silence.

Needless to say, I'm dropping this rich SOB. Keep in mind he has 2 little ones as well. He does pay well, but my part time job will not be a stress to me.

I'm lucky and blessed that I only do this part time due to my other job (firefighter) and I have the time to do it. I don't need him and can get another nice customer instead of him. Just can't believe that people are actually like this...and it's just over a couple days extra of not getting their grass cut. Oh, this guy is 35 years of age as well.

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new family member!!

I suspect everyone in this business has run across some real jerks as customers, but its the good accounts and nice folks who make up for the bad ones.

I cut a yard for a new customer Monday. Knocked on the door when I was through and his wife said her husband would pay me on his way home from work. I went back on Tuesday. She was home, but would not answer the door. Husband called later and said he was a truck driver and was coming back off the road on Thursday to pay me. I went back to their house on Friday. Wife would not answer door, so I continued to ring bell until she did. Told her I wanted my money. She gave another excuse about hubby being out of town, so I didn't told her I didn't like to be lied to and I'd file charges. I left there upset and when I got to my next customer, she had me two gallons of fresh-picked figs and a tip for doing the lawn!!

Never enter a battle of intellect with an unarmed man :usflag:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't assume full-timers need folks like that thou, why do you think he called you? :p
    Just messing with ya, they'll call any of us but I drop them kind fast, too.
    gz's on the baby, can't say I blame you for not putting up with that guy.

4. Icepuck72

I guess I've just been lucky as to have had all good customers and no jerks. This guy always wants something new done, comes out when I'm almost done, asks for something else. This is the sign that I needed. It's just not worth it.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the baby!
    as foor the ex-customer- send the ninjas to throw Roundup ice cubes on his yard

6. Icepuck72

Thanks for all the congrats! I like the round up ice cube idea!!! ;)

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Over the years I "pruned" my customer list here and there. Made my work much more enjoyable. If your creative you can come up with reasons for dropping customer as in "I'm making changes in my business". That one is pretty broad in its meaning. Customer was not happy but it worked for me.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats!! We had our 3rd in March and she came a bit early as well, really screwed up my schedule as I was trying to crank out mulch jobs before the grass started to grow. But oh well.

I'd keep that customer and keep on taking his money. It may seem like splitting hairs, but I found when I would "ask" a customer for something, sometimes they would tell me something I didn't want to hear. Now I just "tell" them what my plans are. If you had no intentions on mowing that day, no sense in asking if you can put if off right?

9. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

you should tell him that this isnt your full time. So it doesnt matter to you if you cut his lawn or not.

10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher LawnSite Member

Congrats on the new baby.

Now, I'll be the hard***. You should have cut the guy's grass. It was your wife that was operated on right - not you. You telling us you couldn't find an hour to go cut that one yard? Wasn't your wife and baby still in the hospital? In fact, wasn't she still in recovery. Even if she wasn't, her sisters, friends, mother, aunts and every other woman she ever met would be at the hospital or over at your house. Do what you promised this guy you would do when you asked him for his business.

All over these boards are people whining because nobody considers LCO's as professionals. Well, calling your clients and telling them you aren't going to cut their grass when you had said you would is not professional. I mean if you were pushing it back one day, maybe, but 3 or 4 or a week??