Had a bad day.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Jun 23, 2003.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I had a not so good day. I had my new trimmer and my BP stolen off my LOCKED racks today at Home Depot in broad daylight. I went in to buy a couple of water hoses and some R/U, came back out and...........gone! That's not the half of it.......about 6 weeks ago or so, in the same parking lot (Home Depot), I had my 21" stolen off my trailer, they cut the lock, dropped the gate, and took it! Luckily, I got it back about 15 minutes later (the idiots parked and went inside the store, a guy witnessed the whole incident). I wasn't so lucky this time:angry: :angry: So, now I have to come up with about $800 for a new trimmer and BP.:cry: :angry:

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Greenman,

Sorry to hear about your equipment theft. Do you have ins.? I know ins. may not cover you for full cost, but a little helps. Maybe it is time for you to invest in a good enclosed trailer. I have a box truck that I store my equipment in. I'm hesitant about lettering it just for that reason.

Chris

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey Greenman that just plain SUCKS!!! Its a shame that you can't trust anyone anymore.:blob2:

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, that stinks. What did you do with the guy(s) that stole your 21er? You know, enclosed trailer or otherwise (even a locked building) I think if someone wants your stuff bad enough they will get it. You are proof of that.

5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

last year I had 2 echo 280s stolen at diferent times out of my parents garage(where I kept everything last year) and my blowers and hedge trimmers my parents house insurance covered it. - the 500 deductable

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Aww man that sucks! I had a hand held blower stolen off my trailer a couple of years ago. I stopped at a Casey's to get a coke and someone had grabbed it. I got replacement cost insurance on all my equipment so I will never have to fork over the money after some dead beat steals from me.

7. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

check with the store, some have surveillance cameras for the parking lots.

kane

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I've had that happen to me also. Actually it happened a couple of times.

It took me a while to understand that a paddlock is not a secure lock. ANY paddlock can be cut and your equipment taken away from you.

I have since gone to using the round locks like you see on storage buildings. They are about impossible to cut quickly, like a thief would do. I suggest that you find a way to order some keyed alike to make your life easier.

Also, don't put much faith in chains either. They can be cut as well.

Like I said, I have had two instances where my trimmers and blowers were stolen, but since switching to the round locks I haven't had any more attempts.

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Nope, this Home Depot has no cameras. The police told me that this was the 2nd theft in 2 weeks from there. I informed the store that from now on that I would PARK RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR ON THE CURB and that if they didn't like that, I would take my business across the street to Lowes, or get some security, they had no comment.

Come to find out, these 2 guys had outstanding warrants for theft already. They were hauled off to jail. Now for some stupid reason I was issued a subpoena for this incident. I have to be in court this Wednesday morning.

I have insurance on my truck but not on my trailer and equipment. I was quoted a price of $1200 per year with a $500 deductible. I figured instead of paying insurance, I would put that money in an account in case there was a theft. Save some money in the long run. BUT, if had a ZTR or 2, yes I would deifiitely have insurance on my equipment. I have enough costly insurance now as it is, liabilty insurance.

So, now i'm off to buy a new T230 (again) and a BP (any suggestions?) Shindaiwa BP?

Oh BTW, anyone lend me $800?:D

10. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that too. I had a br400 stolen a couple years ago. Of note; I have seen some LCOs park their stuff at mini storages...not a bad idea if you ask me.