had a first today....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gaturf, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

Not sure where i should post this so dont shot me for posting it here....

I had a first today, i bid a job last week for maint and gave it to the homeowner. He called me back this morning and said i could start next week. Then he caught me off guard by increasing his weekly rate from $45 to $55. I didnt complain...i wish all my customers would do this.

ga turf

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i had a guy do that to me once....dropped off the estimate and waited a few days...guy calls back and says he doesn't like the estimate...i ask him whats wrong and he says 'its not enough...i'm gonna up it 20%'....i didn't complain..i just said ok...

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll join the club on this thread....

Bid a house next to one of my regular cuts. (+2 points for distance) Walked the property... oversized corner, no bag, lotta edging, average trimming. Told him $45.00. He fires back... "I'll give ya $60.00!!!"
    Me - "Per cut?" as if I was the one who was surprised by the price...
    Him - "Sure, why not..."
    Me - "Well, that's a first and I appreciate your honesty and generousity, so let's settle at $50.00" (trying to be a nice guy to a lil' old man)
    Him - "I'll give ya $60.00 or I'm gonna find someone else to cut my lawn..(he laughs) and says... "Now go cut my lawn come back every ten days."

been cuttin' his lawn ever since.

btw... it's worth every penny of $60.00.

4. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

had a guy call me this fall wanting the leaves out of his yard.... yard is not even an acre..... i told him $120 he says.... that seems a little low how about $250? ..... i was like @_@ K ... it only took me 1 hour to do :)

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I am waiting to get that lucky with a customer ...LOL

6. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

Had a customer call me up for a spring cleanup and say he would pay $500.00 to get this mess cleaned up. I showed up to do the walkthrough and it was a cookie cutter cakewalk. In and out in less than 2 hours. The guy would not let me charge him a penny less. Guess he really wanted the mess gone.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Those are the customers you want, lol.

8. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Did a small job a few nights ago. Took up about 8-10 small plants, re-installed 4. Installed pine straw and pressure washed the front and back of a townhouse. Job estimate was $250. We were there for about 2 hours. As I was finishing up the bill, the customer asks me to haul off some old planters and dump them. I said okay, I just need to load them on the truck (I have a place I can dump and it does not cost me) and it was the end of the day anyway and I was headed to the yard.

Anyway, she said that for my extra trouble, there was an extra amount (wrote check for $325).

I talked to another customer that I was linning up for this season last night. I told her $45, and when I talked to her last night, she said she would pay $55. Going to get her fertilizing done this week. And start mowing her yard and a couple more weeks.

9. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

glad to see im not the only lucky one out there! But today must be my lucky day.......after my phone call this morning i got another one from a builder friend of mine. he offered 60 homes split between two communities. $35 each/weekly with 30 cuts a year minimum! You can do the math. 1/4 acre lots or less. I was going to go play the lotto but i figure my luck has to be finished.

ga turf

10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice! Xmas came twice this year!