1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Had a first yesterday....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXNSLighting, Apr 25, 2007.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Never had this request but, this lady calls and leaves her address on the voicemail, so i go look. Its a recently sodded yard, with the normal weeds pokin thru. I call her back and tell her what its goin to be, she asks if that includes weeding...So i asked you mean the flower beds?? and she said no, the yard....she said we put weed and feed down and the weeds wont fully go away, so i need a price for you to mow it, then afterwards pull all the weeds. Im stumped! Have any of you had this request before??

2. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Tell her that pulling the weeds by hand in the yard is not a very effective way to get rid of them. Pulling by hand really only works when you can dig around them to ge them by the root. Unless she wants big holes in her new sod tell her to let you take care of them.

3. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

thanks for the advice, i guess no one else has had this issue?
  4. Superbrock

Superbrock LawnSite Member

How about the fact that weed and feed should not be applied to a newly sodded turf? Quicksilver herbicide has recently gotten sod and sprigged turf on the label.
  5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

well they obviously didt know that, they said theyve put it down twice! so i may need to have a talk with her...
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Yes, earlier this season. I told her if I pulled the weeds out of the lawn she wouldn't need me to mow because she would only have dirt left. I gave her an outrageous price so I wouldn't have to deal with it and she said she would get back to me. I lose sleep at night waiting for that call...
  7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

very interesting.
  8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never had that request...and PRAY that I never EVER EVER get a call like that! WOWZER!
  9. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

If she put weed and feed on new sod then you should smack her first and then tell her to find someone else to take care of her. This is the type of homeowner that will take a 2 hour class at home depot and think she is an electrician or carpenter.
    Moral of the story is you may get the customer but, beware because she will come behind you and do stupid things and could end up blaming you in the end if it doesn't work.
  10. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Never bene asked to do that, but I have customers that pull weeds from their lawn by hand (mainly dandylions sp?).