1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Had a great day today with estimates

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Feb 9, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i went to give some estimates today and i had a great day,the first was for a lady that owns 3 apartments 1 alittle under 8,000 sq ft one around 9,000 sq ft and the other around 11,000 sq ft.
    All 3 apartments are at the same location so i can knock them all out at the same time.I bid each separately in my head at 25,30,40 gave her a price of 95$ and we settled on 90$ for the three with the agreement i could also bid her private house 2 blocks away,we went to her house and it was 10,800 sq ft which she agreed to 35$.
    Now the house she said she wants done nice but the apartments she wasn't too concerned about as long as it got mowed.
    Well even if she ain't concerned i am,i refuse to do sloppy work even if she don't mind.So that was all figured into one contract for 125 + tax a week and a signed deal.
    This neighborhood is awesome to get into,around 50 homes valued at 4-500,000 each.I couldn't believe my ears when she told me to give her around 30 flyer's so she could pass them out for me and she would talk to a few of her neighbors...i was like wow thanks!!!
    Then earlier tonight i had someone call me right down the street from me that saw my sign and he has a lawn that is around 9,000 sq ft but the back yard is on a pretty steep hill and i closed that deal at 45$ a week along with a 250$ spring clean up of his leaves and such.
    He also said his neighbor use to get his lawn cut with him using the same guy {that no longer mows} and that he will get his neighbor for me also. I promised him 5$ off his weekly mowing if he got his neighbor and he said consider it done..how sweet of a day was that!!
    Anyway i know this ain't no big deal but to me it was the start to my future and i was so excited,i realized today that just like when i sold cars all i need is the chance to meet my customers in person and i will close 70-75% of them because one thing i can do is close a deal! Just wanted to share my great day,please don't think i am boasting because i really am not,how can you boast over closing 2 accounts. I simply wanted to bring some good news!!
    P.S I also got a call to give a bid on cutting up and removing a tree that fell down today {a very big tree} in some ladies yard and she wants a spring clean up,i will be going their on monday! Anyone no how to price something like this tree out? Is it simply based on time and haul away?
  2. bigw

3. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, good job man. I know those first estimates always make you want to get out there and start for the year.....not too much longer. Do good work and just by word of mouth your business will double! Congrats!
  4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

big W

good job on locking down them jobs

i never saw your post yesterday

with the tree...

what kind of tree is it?

if its a decent hardwood.... you can cut it into firewood lengths and take it and sell it later

or put it out by the road....it will be gone by the time you get done hauling brush.....

hard to estimate time without seeing the tree... is it close to the road... back the truck to it?

If its a soft tree like pine... it will cut like butter and you can allways chip it up....

Post a pic if you can and i can get you close on price...

5. bigw

not sure yet i have to go on monday,i will take pics and post them. I think it may be a big maple but im not sure.
  6. bigw

yes it was exciting...thanks buddy!
  7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

the good news is theres no leaves on the branches

makes for an easier cleanup

post me a pic or two and i'll get you real close on the time.....

8. bigw

ok thanks!!
  9. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

Great news man! I havent visited this site for a couple years and its great to see the hype that I have for new accounts!
  10. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Great job. I know how you feel. I closed a curb job yesterday and had 4 others that had already bid. I wasnt the cheapest but still got the job because I talked to the guy for a while about other things, I wasnt just there to give out a #.