1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Had a Laugh this morning!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mack77, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I wake up and walk to my car this morning, and just as i'm about to get in, I hear this loud, scraping noise comming closer, and closer...

Then all of a sudden I see this big white "ChemLawn" truck speed by with his steel trailer drop ramp DOWN, and GRINDING the pavement as it passes. If the noise wasn't bad enough, every time the open ramp hit a bump or rock in the road, sparks would fly!!

I just stood there and watched this guy fly by with an open trailer ramp in amazement! :laugh: :laugh:
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe he was trying to level the street so you could get a smoother ride? :p
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

That guy had to have been either deaf, or he noticed and said to himself, "oh well, its not my truck and trailer."
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Was there a little 'ol lady in hot pursuit, with a rolling pin overhead, screaming "There's more where that came from!" ?
  5. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

That is funny. What's even funnier is that I did the exact same thing when I first got my trailer. Drove all the way to my first account like that ( about 3 miles). Whoops :blush:
  6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Yeah really....I can't understand how anyone cannot notice that. I pulled away from an account once with my ramp down and I got only about 20 feet before I realized what I had done. It was soooo loud, that guy had to have been deaf, or maybe he was trying to get fired!
  7. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

I drive a diesel, windows were up, and AC crankin, so I didn't hear mine. I tell you what though, that's one thing you only do once.:dizzy:
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL yes, but at LEAST once :)

I've done it a few times, never get more than a few feet and I know immediately what the deal is... Now one thing is I always drive real easy, so the trailer gate creates drag, right away I know something is wrong, nevermind the noise...
    But when I was new, yes I can honestly say I am glad I never drove TOO far with it down.

About the only other thing worthy of mention is the time I drove over my backpack blower with the trailer.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

He must have forgot to raise it after he leveled out his last lawn. They will probably bill the homeowner for that too.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I work irrigation for a school district and pull a 25' trailer when we're involved with installs/repairs that require trencher and other special equipment. Since I don't take this trailer out on a daily basis I too sometimes forget that the gate is down. Got to the point that I place an orange traffic cone at the end of the trailer on the driver's side so it is clearly visible in my rear view mirror. Reminds me to double check the rear of the trailer for obstructions and "gate down syndrome." Learned this from some gas company guys who put out cones each and every time they stop regardless what type of rig they are in. Forces them to walk completely around their vehicle checking for obstructions before leaving.