had a lawn establishment problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Jun 30, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i put in a new lawn in april.. i went a couple of weeks later and check it out.. it was going great.. had this guy that works with me go and remove the straw.. (or what i thought) the guy called me the other day and said the grass is turning brown because of the straw still there.. i went there today and this guy took up about 10-20% of the straw.. after a hour of raking through the grass on a 6000 sq ft yard i got most of it up.. I know there's problem some there that is didn't catch.. i think i'll use a garden rake and go through it.. i just hope that the brown grass goes back to green... man u can never find good help.. after talking the my helper u can say. he said he got tired of messing with raking the straw.. i should of went back and checked over him.. but he said it was up and i was confident he was telling the truth... I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON.. i will always overcheck on jobs like this.. i guess worse case in sept. i will have to detach and put a few more seeds down... :(

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

how heavy did you put it down. I have never removed straw from a seeding job. I have never seen anyone who removes straw from a seeding job cept homeowners and then they usually pull out the new grass by the roots. The straw will decompost and make organic matter. That is the way it is done here. Just wondering what the benifits are from removing it.

3. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

that's what i was thinking at first.. it wasn't too heavy ( less then the recommanded rate ) i was a windy a day later... i think some of the straw clouded together... and made it a little thicker...

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, and when the grass it tall enough to mow you just mulch the remaining straw right into the lawn.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

jeffo, when we seed we sell the customer a 1 time cut to remove some of the straw but its more for getting the lawn set at what height its suppose to be set at and after we pound it with urea.

have your customers been watering ( if its been dry and hot ) or are they on a fertilizing program? one of those might be the answer to your question