Had a real pita today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Mar 24, 2009.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

This lady calls me last week for a power raking estimate. When I gave the estimate she says that she has several others giving estimates and she will get back to me if I'm the best price. Today she calls and ask me to do the job. I happened to be in the area and had some time so I did it today. I did a great job and it looked great and I know she got a good deal because I have been lowering my prices to ensure getting jobs. Several hours later she calls me and said she inspected the work and says she wants me to come back and go over the whole yard again with my height adjustment set lower because my Quick 36 was sitting about 1/2 inch taller than my 21" which used in the spots where I couldn't get with the Quick 36. I told her that was definately not going to happen and that this is way to petty to be calling me about. Common a 1/2" differance, screw that lady.

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

So you mowed up the thatch or what its a little unclear?

3. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Clear to me. 1/2" difference in height

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I see your point.....but I see her's too. She paid a professional to do a professional job.

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

But at a professional price? If he was lower than everyone else then no. She got what she paid for, and it seemed to be the short end of the stick. Not saying that it is bad on the guy who did it, but hard times right now and everyone is lowering their prices.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I disagree. It shouldn't matter what the price was. I would hate to give someone a low price, do the job in a less than professional manner, have the customer complain, and then tell them "you get what you pay for". I mean. come on, you are talking about your own company!!!!

7. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. You call yourself a professional right? This is half a ass type of thinking. Just my opinion.

8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Not saying that it is bad on the guy who did it, but hard times right now and everyone is lowering their prices.

Not every one!

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really see her argument, though I am not the customer. I assume the lawn is dormant? If so it really doesn't matter about the 1/2" difference in height in some places.

That being said I think I would try to make the customer happy and take this one on the chin. Who knows, she may call next week and want a yearly service from you...especially if you treat her right.

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

just curious, but why did you cut 1/2" shorter with your push mower?