Had a scare today>>>

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MowerMoney, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I was out this morning to finish my last cuts of this year. As I was beginning to slow for a stop light in the centre of town, I felt a thump from my enclosed trailer. I glanced in the mirrors, saw nothing, so I thought my mower may have rolled off its block and bumped the trailer wall. When I got to my next lawn, I was talking with the customer when I glanced toward the trailer and i thought I saw a splotch of red on the right fender. Upon closer examination, I saw a dark red wet substance. OH MY GOSH!!! That looks like blood. OH NO. Did I Hit & Run somebody? OH MAN, OH MAN. I starting shaking and thinking all kinds of bad things. So I quickly got back in the truck and drove back to the "scene" expecting to see ambulances and police everywhere. NOTHING. Just another normal day. ????? So I went and got a coffee, called the wife and told her about it. Then I saw an ambulance going in that direction and follwed it. But it kept on going and no sirens. Then I sees a SPCA truck at the location so I pulls over and they are dragging out of the corner of a parking area, a.........young deer, ...and a very dead one.
    WHEW, I'm sad that I killed a dear, lucky that it didn't cause me any damage, BUT very, very thankful that it had not been a person.

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man. That is a scary feeling. Glad you didn't hit anyone. I know how those mowers can bump while trailering.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

well, the deer isnt as bad as a person, though you still feel a little guilt for killing it without realising it.

4. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

glad to see you went back. i`m sure there are a lot people in this world who would not have bothered,even if they had hit someone.we had crazy amounts of deer here to,at least untill Nov.1st(first week of deer season)

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It would be you or a high powered rifle. Glad you didn't get hurt.

6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Thats an interesting way to look at it. true too. now, where'd I put my 30-06 rifle at?

7. pmoore

pmoore LawnSite Member

I can do one better. last year i was pulling out of a very wealthy area of town doing about 25mph when a bear ran out in front of my 86 chevy truck. The bear made it safely under my truck but unfortunately got stuck under the axle of my 6.5x10 trailer carrying my zturn. i dragged the bear of about 30 feet until the trailer rolled itself over the bear. amazingly the bear got up and ran into the woods.

8. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

WOW...he "bearly" escaped!:D