Had an attack of the 'stupids'!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, May 9, 2002.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I discovered I had not hooked up my trailer properly from the day before.

Backed my large mower off the trailer at my first account and 'Wham! Scrape!" the thing bucked up like a see-saw and scratched the hell out of my tail gate.

Since the safety chaines were still on it did not go up as far as it should have, but it bucked back and wedged itself underneath my bumper.

Since it was on the ground & at an awkward angle I could not lift it and disconnect the safety chains to pull up and rehitch it.

Saw my Jungle Jack in my cage and thought "Hmmm"( got a case of the smarts by now)... jacked up the trailer, diconnected it w/o any problem and hitched it the right way.

Don't know how many people saw when they drove by but there is little doubt the Jungle Jack saved my 46 y/o bottom.

Seem like a case of the stupids hits me everynow and then. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Cordially,
    Sheppard

2. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Sheppard,
    I have NEVER done anything like that! What were you thinking................j/k

3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Got a good one for you. Last year we were doing a job and I needed to run back to my house to get a tool to fix something. I quickly jumped in the truck and sped off. When I got home I noticed that the tailgail on the truck was down. This is a bad thing in my case because the trailer tounge jack post sticks up pretty high. Well I closed the tailgate and I had a nice have moon contour to the tailgate. Ooops. Good thing I did it and not one of my workers.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran over a pheasant, but later saved an earthworm while blowing a driveway...a sort of "Karma return policy".

It is good the story had a nice ending, but had to scare the turds out of ya. I check my connection everytime I start to put the truck in drive, its almost like "did I leave the oven on?" as your pulling away...well I do double check. After reading this post I will be even more paranoid about the connection, I'll be checking it at every stop light.:)

Good luck

5. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Yep...just last night I had a case of the stupids. Went to cross a ditch on a property on my Z like Ive done a hundred times before. Shut off the blades, raise the deck, but this time instead of going in at an angle, I drove straight down in it and the cage on back bottomed out on me as I came out the other side. Had to hook the truck to it to pull it out.

Last year, a buddy was telling me he pulled up at a red light and the guy in the lane next to him yelled at him, and asked him if the gate was supposed to be down on his trailer. He had driven about 5 blocks on the busiest street in town with his gate down. I wish I could have seen that one.

6. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

That's nothing.

Last night I told my girlfriend (fiance) that all I could think about all day long was my mower and how I couldn't wait to get home to play with it.

Do not try this at home. Very stupid.

7. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

got one along the same lines, my wife and i were having a argument and she said "if you had to choose between me and madison (our daughter) and doing lawns you'd go do lawns" ... never respond with "well maybe... yeah your probably right about that"

8. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Landscaper and AielLandscaping - that's funny. I get some of that same stuff from my wife. My 17 month old's favorite word is "lawnmower." He pushes his toy mower around the house nonstop. Between me and him - she is probably sick of hearing about them.

I have a case of the stupid's hourly I think. Yesterday, we pulled out of a drive and 5 seconds later, Bang. The gate on my trailor slammed down. Worker put it up, I was standing there but never latched it. He had a weedeater in one hand and a blower in the other. Don't know how he thought I would latch while I was busy taking a drink of water! Anyway they ran back, put it up and waved to the lady behind us.

9. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I was mowing sevral churches one day and in a huge hurry, I pull into the parking lot too fast go around a sharp corner and the rear wheel on my 16 ft trailer hit the corner (curb and gutter) and I blow a tire. I mark it up too stupid and fix the tire while my help starts mowing...BTW i dint have a spare so I run and buy a new tire......anyways we jump in the truck and now im in a even bigger hurry as I fly into the next parking lot go around the corner to fast a did the exact same thing to the brand new tire this all happened about an hours time...one $65 tire 1 hour, the tire guy had a good day and almost had to fire the help for teasing me the rest of the season.

10. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Sheppard, the same exact thing happened to me a few yrs. ago. Borrowed my Dads' garden tractor and aslo used his 4x8 trailer. The only difference between our mishaps was that I dissconected from the trailer and parked my truck. Put the gate down, got on and started her up and out I came....SLAM!!!!! Scared the SH*T outta me. Felt like a Jack*ss. The first thing i did was look around to make sure nobody saw me.

Stupidity creeps up on us every now and again.