Had It with Stihl 4-Mix

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CuttinUP, Jun 22, 2008.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I had a FS100RX trimmer and had problems from after about 3 months. Over the next 3 seasons the dealer did a ton of warranty work on it, you name it they replaced it. They gave me a loaner each time they had it in. Ended up after everything had been done, it was out of warranty and still not running correctly. Worked out a deal with Stihl to trade it in and get a new one at a very reasonable price. I have had the new one for about nine months and here we go with this one. And on this one I have used the Ultra Oil in it from day one. The dealer has had it several times over the coarse of the last month and a half, replaced everything on it just about and it runs worse now then it did when I took it in for the first running issue. Needless to say they have it again and I think it is time to just buy a different trimmer. Thinking about RedMax, Shindaiwa, and Kawasaki.

2. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Stihl 4mix = poop, BTW kaw's are great trimmer.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill be a kaw boy from now on. i run my kaw like half throttle day and when crap gets deep just crack open the throttle dang thing would cut a car in half

4. Kawazuki

Kawazuki LawnSite Member

I was originally looking at the 100RX

after some research and handling I narrowed it down to the Stihl FS80R and the Kawasaki KGT27A :laugh:

To many if's with the 4-mix but since you already have it, try adding some sea foam to the mix about 1 to 1 1/2 ozs per gallon. It's the valve that gets carboned up and causes it to run like shat. Running your string to long and lugging the motor only makes it worse to. Did you take the gaurd off??

If you want to stay with Stihl (and it sounds like you have a good dealer willing to work with you) go with the FS80R for a light weight trimmer or the FS250R if you don't mind the weight and want a trimmer with some real power (over kill IMO for just trimming) both are still the older (better) 2-smoke engine’s.

I went with the Kawasaki KGT27A and I love it 10.2 lbs and 1.6 hp best of both worlds. :cool2:

Initial build quality seems to be as good or better than anything out there, power to weight is better, we'll see how it does over the long haul but I'm not anticipating any problems.

5. Kawazuki

Kawazuki LawnSite Member

I agree 100%

1/2 throttle does all of your regular trimming, and you've got plenty of power when needed for the overgrown stuff.

I cut about a 1/2 acre of three foot high THICK grass with mine when I first got it, no problems at all. Just playing with the new toy to see what it would do, I was impressed.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My crews run 4-mix powered hand held trimmers, blowers, hedge trimmers exclusively. The oldest is approaching three and a half years old and still running very strong.
    Currently I have in my small equipment inventory fourteen 4-mix units of which all of them see approximately 400-450 hours annually.
    I have found the 4-mix units to be more durable, produce more usable torque at a lower rpm, use less fuel and due to the exhaust note are preferred by my customers.
    Prior to converting over to the 4-mix units my crews ran Echo, Shindawa and Kawasaki powered units and the crews much prefer the Stihl 4-Mix to anything else I have provided.
    Maintenance is minor at best just the usual filter cleaning and gear head greasing.
    I use off the shelf Valvoline 2 cycle oil, mix it at 50:1 in ten gallon lots with 87 octane fuel and haven't had any of the problems some have noticed.
    Until I find a piece of hand held equipment that performs as well I am staying with the 4-mix units.

7. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I too have a Stihl FS-100RX and I think it is a piece of junk. It has no power and bogs down in almost nothing. We now run only Stihl FS-250R's and they are awsome. My guys dont mind the weight because of the power.

8. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

I am glad that they are working for your crew. They didnt work for mine. I never had good luck with them. Thank god I had a good dealer and it was under warrenty, but once they went out so did the trimmer. I stick with regular old 2 stroke stuff from now on.

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what gives me the best power: E3 spark plugs and 87 octane fuel with Amsoil at 80:1
    Everything I have starts and runs better...

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if differences in gas may make a difference? Do you adjust the valves on regular schedules?