1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Had Kubota ZD-28 Demo today ... My observations, your opinions please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 8, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

I had a chance to demo my friends used Kubota ZD-28 today, and these are the observations that I made.

1. The mower had exactly 351 hours on it.

2. The deck was scuffed up on the sides, but didn't have any visible signs of hard impacts such as deep gashes or dents. The front, and back tires also looked to be in good shape.

3. The grease fitting was broke off of left front wheel spindle. I'm talking about the big front tire. The wheel still moves ( swivels ) freely without any noticeable play in it, so I don't believe the bearings have been damaged due to lack of grease so far.

4. The left side anti scalp roller is bent slightly, and the wheel needs replacing.

5. The grease fitting on the right side anti scalp roller is broke off, and that wheel also needs replacing.

6. The blades were almost new, and had just been sharpened for the first time.

7. The mower ran and cut great. That diesel engine sure did sound good, but it wasn't as fast as the Super Z, but I don't think that I can realistically mow my yard at over 10mph due to roughness anyway.

8. The ride did seem a little softer than the Super Z.

This mower had been purchased in June of last year, and had been used to mow city park areas. The owner told me that the parks have a lot of those cut off ( 2' high ) telephone post in the ground everywhere, and he figures thats where the grease fittings got knocked off while he was mowing up close and around those.

Does this sound like normal wear on a mower used commercially in those type of conditions, with that many hours on it? Is it hard to repair broke off grease fittings, and should this be a big concern in my purchase ? Like I said in my earlier post the price is $8000, and according to the Kubota web-sight the warranty is transferable, so it still has warranty till June 2005.

Any insight from you professionals would be greatly appreciated.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

The damage you describe is probably normal for a machine being used commercially. None of the stuff is too hard to fix. I agree, unless your yard is a pool table, I doubt you'll miss the extra speed of the Super z ( absolutely nothing against Hustler ). I'd mention the broke stuff and use it as leverage to deal with him a little, investigate the cost of the little wheel and the other stuff and see what he'll do.. If I had the need for a machine that big, I'd grab it in a new york minute.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Webdrifter - Just by your gramar, you sound like about 16 yrs. of age. Is that true? - Most of us that are in our 30-40-50's do not even mess with grease zerks being broken off - we have broken a lot of them ourselves. If the mower mowes well, and runs well, what is the point of this thread. Are we talking grease zerks or what??????
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you get a pic of the mower to show us?

Seeing a machine is easier to comment on then a text report, but I'd say buy it.

Grease zerks are easy as to replace, a lot of mowers only grease the front yokes 1 time per year anyway, just pull front wheels off wash the bearings buy new zerks and reinstall, then you know it is right and can forget about em.

castor wheels...never bent one and I have bashed them hard, maybe the kubotas ones arent as tough as toro's but that doesn't matter anyway, anything bent can be starightened, new wheels, no probs...

if it cut great, engine ran sweet, no damage to main paneling or frame, anything else is very minor and just typical of 2nd hand stuff.

sounds good to me, plus the warrantee, that is great!

a pic of it would be good though...
  5. webdrifter

No Flex, I'm not 16 I'm just not a seasoned veteran when it comes to commercial mowing equipment. The most commercial thing I've had is the 42" cub cadet rider that I now own, and I've never broke off grease Zerk's, or replaced them before?. Actually I've always heard them referred to as grease alamites (spelling?). So Flex-deck I guess I am talking grease zerks, and by the way your post reads most people 30-40-50 don't even mess with them being broke off. Are you saying that you just run without them as long as your equipment keeps going? Maybe I misunderstood your grammar.
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

webdrifter - Sorry - I miss understood your post - Thinking you did not replace the grease zerks. - Any of us that take out equipment seriously keep those things replaced, and used. Sorry, Brad
  7. webdrifter

I didn't take a picture, but I did go by a Kubota dealer the other day, and looked at a new ZD-28. I knew by doing this that I would have an idea of how one should look with no damage.
  8. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

Hmmm, I am 54 going on 55 and have replaced every grease zerk I have ever broken as there is no easy way to add new grease without them. Webdrifter, offer him $7,000.00 and be prepared to pay about $7,500.00 or so. He will come down.
  9. webdrifter

No harm done, I got a little confused with your post too. I see how you could have misunderstood what I was trying to say about the grease zerk's.

I don't think this guy will budge on his price. there are two other guys that I know that want it if I don't buy it. Plus he doesn't need the money.
  10. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member