Had the strangest experience today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CFB, Apr 5, 2008.

1. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call from a woman who wanted a bid on her lawn, just the back yard. Completely normal conversation on the phone, sounded like I was talking to an everyday Jane.

I get to her house and I see that she is the oldest person in the world. She sits me down and asks me a few questions. I realize quickly that she is blind and she tells me that she is 98 years old and had a massive stroke a few years back which left her blind. They said she would never walk or talk but here she was walking and talking as intelligently as anybody else.

To look at her you would think it was impossible. I gave her my price and she was thrilled because she said no one else will do it because she thinks they are worried about her dying.

She said I will be filling out the checks for her, and she will sign them. And she wants to pay every time I mow because she wants to have no debts when she dies.

I am glad that someone wanting to take advantage of her had not stopped by before me for obvious reasons. A great experience, what a sweet lady she is. I couldn't help but talk to her for another 15 minutes about... whatever.

Humbling to think that a 98 y.o. blind woman a few years removed from a stroke, could be such a strong and wonderful individual. Made a big impression on me. Sometimes it is more than just business.

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It's all fun-n-games till somebody finds a corpse:dizzy:

3. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Old lady 1
    You 0

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

wow, I had a lady client that sounds identical 15 years back or so.
    about 90-95 years old, mostly blind, barely could walk, super friendly. I ended up mowing, changing lightbulbs for her, and planted her a vegetable garden, groceries, etc. I wrote out the checks and she signed them.

we had a great friendship until one day she came out and was convinced I was stealing her water. I was confused but then figured out she was confused pretty permanantly. I was sad to lose her as a customer, but it was really time for her to have a full time caregiver and or be in a home. I was just kinda the go between.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pretty callous way to look at a situation that touched this person's heart !!

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I got plenty of old ladies/men and I often wonder if I should get the check before I mow..just in case.
    Ya good idea you are filling out the checks and you may want to fill out her check book record too. One 90 something lady was charged 50$ and she put down $500 in her record keeping:hammerhead::dizzy:

7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the same customer...pritty old , very nice and blind, i wright the checks and she signs.im also glad that i work for her cause i know people that would totally cheat her.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We had an old guy, whos wife had just passed away from old age. His conditions worsened as weeks went on. It got to the poinnt that he'd greet you when you showed up and he was all smiles, and 5 minutes later he'd be chasing you around the yard with a broom cuz he thaught you were stealing his car.

I remember letting his account slip a month, and the following month I knocked on his door. The alzeimers had kicked in so bad he had forgoten who I was, but he let me into the house to talk to him and write me a cheque. I remember his oven was left on as he had prepared himself some lunch a couple of hours ago he said. It must have been 50 degrees celsius in the house. I felt bad for the guy, and eventually he gave me his sons number and we worked things out. He had the checkbook out and would have written a cheque for whatever I asked. This world is full of sick people, and there are those that would capitalize on the sick or elderly. We'll all be there some day and hopefully be respected by todays youth.

9. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Awsome expierience, (this is not meant to be religious) but there are of blessings everyday today you were one of them.

10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

wait til he loses half hour every time he collects the money. Remember tho she is someone grandma and you are helping her out...... The elderly love to talk and you feel bad trying to get out of there because you have 5 more places to go.