Had To Fire My Main Guy...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AWR, Apr 29, 2008.

1. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

Friday i had to fire my main guy ,who has been with me for 5 years. He wanted a raise to make what a driver would make$ 15 per hr. problem was he doesnt have his license.So i knew if i didn't give him a raise i would have to fire him, because he would make everybody elses life a night mare.so i let him go , and sure as $hit this week i 'm finding all kinds of bad work he did on purpose, ( left empty mulch bags in peoples beds, left mulch on lawns, weeds in the beds etc) couldn't come at a better time... they all think the grass is greener on the other side..

ps i find out he's unemployed after talking all last week how other companys where offering him more money

oh well see ..yah

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

At least during the busy season they probably won't let him collect unemployment. If they do hire him back and make him trim all day every day, eventually he'll quit.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Let me get this right? First it's rare in any company nowadays to have an employee with 5 years experience. i would consider a 5 years employee "loyal" and an asset to say the least, and I make it clear with my employee's about company policy, or the rules ahead of time ie: employee handbook, nothing fancy just policy in writing. To fire a guy for asking for a raise sounds unfair, i would have explained he needed his license to warranty a raise, constructive management?. Their must be previous disciplinary action to warranty termination maybe you had him "blackballed"

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

does your 'main guy' = foreman? or is he considered your 'main guy' because he's been around the longest and is your most loyal worker?

Dude shouldv'e known since DAY 1 that he will never top out at drivers rates UNLESS he has a license.

Good help is hard to find in this biz....how good was he? Since you considered him your main man?

I worked for an LCO for 1 summer.
    Down the line...
    1.Owner
    2. Manager
    3. (2) Crew runners (license required- I was one of two that drove the truck and ran the crew
    4. (4) Laborers.

No one was considered the 'main guy' cept for the owner of course.
    Crew runners made 2-4 dollars more then laborers. Laborers would never pass the crew runners in hourly wages, but could only match em' based on experience and/or time with company. Rarely happend.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WOW 5 years and he still wasn't at 15.00

I start them at 10.00

I think your MAIN GUY did the right thing

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Its every man for himself. Just ask the old mexican on the other post that got fired.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep....gotta agree with you on that. I start my guys out at $10. If they make it past 90 days they are at $11. At the end of the year they are at $12. I give them bonuses on large installs and every once in a while I'll give them an extra $50 or so for the hell of it. Everybody stays happy and productive.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how you guys pay what you do :laugh:

But I think this could've been handled a little more delicately too...

It's just times are a changing, and I know I've pulled off some harsh and cold decisions before... But with the economy and everything the way it is I've decided to be a little more appreciative of what I do have. Because we never know what's coming next :confused:

If I were in the owner's shoes I just MIGHT call the guy and see about, well, hey man, erm...
    Look, some bs and water under the bridge, things and stuff, say you wanna come in and talk about it?

He might be ready now, rather than laugh at other's misfortunes I mean...
    Worst he can do is say hell no

That is, if you're up for second chances.

9. OhLawnGuy

OhLawnGuy LawnSite Member

you cant fire a guy for asking for a raise.....i would think that is unfair labor practices?

10. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey if the way you described getting rid of the guy is right you are in for a world of hurt. Also I agree why in the world would you be paying a 5 year employee less than 15 per hour man I would have walked a while ago if that was happening. I am not trying to beat up on you but I guess It really upsets me to see companies not paying people living wages