1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Had to laugh today

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Red_Rattler, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler LawnSite Member

I got to one of my accounts today, and across the street I noticed they were putting a lawn in, no biggy, right? So I went to mowing, this account only takes an hour with two 61" Great Danes, and when we got done, I noticed they were gone already. Huh? I thought, all they did was use a Bobcat to scape it semi flat at best, and they just threw some hand fulls of seed on rock hard soil LMAO :rolleyes: They didn't even match the grade to the sidewalk or driveway, they were just big drop offs. So I just stuck a card on the door, and wrote on it, "if you want this done right call the number" I just had to laugh though...PEOPLE
  2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

But your forgetting that the Homeowners saved a lot of money over the other guy. :D

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

They might have saved money or the guy could have ripped them off. They could also be cheap too and not have wanted a lot of work done, just asked the guy to seed it like it was.
  4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Did they recently add on or remodel ? If so the builder might be using the minimum guidelines, set down by the city or county, to meet code and get his or her final inspection.

I am currently waiting for a builder to do his final grade, after the sidewalk is in, then I can come in and finish grade and prep for sod. This means bringing in 30 yds of topsoil and 3000 Lb of soil ammendment.

Jim L
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Good point Paul... there are many jobs that I would like to do "this or that" , but it is just not in the customers budget...There are jobs that are also done in phases over a period of years. Brings my thoughts back to the post on mow and blow accounts ... the ones that I don't really want our trucks to be seen at...lots of members said they would not do them unless they were full service(and I can see there point)....for now, we do some...they are low grade commercial that pay well for the amount of time we have to spend.
    So now... how many guys turn down landscape's that might not meet the company's usual high standards???
  6. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

Hey Rattler, I live in Sun Prairie, and know alot of people in Columbus. My aunt and uncle (Peg and Garry) own Easy Landing on 73. I would love to see this property some time if you care to private message the address
  7. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

My answer to this is yes we do turn down work if our standards warrant it. Had a job that a builder outbid a retaining wall on and to make a long story short, never installed drainage and tied the corners in incorrectly and who knows what else? Halfway through builder leaves, owner goes bankrupt, and the new carpenter comes in with instructions from the bank to finish it. Called me to finish the wall and I said no way unless you let me take it apart and do it right. High profile job and when it fails I don't want my name anywhere near it. Too much cash for them, they still haven't done anything to it after 8 months. If you are gonnea earn a reputation get a good one.
  8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

SCL ... I agree...in the case you mentioned ,I would not touch that, but, surely you have taken jobs that you wished the customer's had went for more or paid to have things done with better material etc???