Had to look

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Paulsen, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I had to go and look to see what one of these Dixie Copper looked like in the wild. In my area they are not heard of.A dealer about 60 miles from here started handling them last year so I drove last Sunday to see them. What a let down. There must of been six or seven of them, all different sizes.The thing that was a let down is they all look used. I know they weren't, maybe one or two were demo's but the sticker were coming off and the decks had rust ,they were close to a road and the snowplows had blown snow on them so they had rocks and dirt all over. Just wasn't impressive they way the dealer had them.It's too bad because I had hopes of be the first in my area to have one of though bad boys.Maybe I'll what for the snow to melt and try it on a day the dealer is open so I can test drive one.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Of the Dixie Chopper dealers I've been to they seem to be operated by "Good Ol Boys". I know the DC is an excellant mower but they really need to upgrade their dealer network. Their dealers usually look like a used Yugo car dealership.

3. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Amen Mr Martin.

4. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

If the dealer lets his equipent rust out side, think what he will do to your equipment if you let him work on it.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mike,I bought a Dixie last year-all the decks have rust if they have been sitting for more than a few weeks,at least they did at my dealer and he never left them outside.The paint quality and prep is poor on them,and some of my stickers are falling off too,after a year.It a shame they left them out in the road salt.If you buy a dixie,stay away from the kohler 25.

6. Mike Paulsen

from Idaho

John, did you become a DC lover now or are you still unhappy. Was it just the pitch of the deck that was your problem with the cut and plugging up?

7. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have seen the ones around here in MD I had to fight with barbie toys to get in the front door....no joke. Then there were like 10 used and old beat up machines, none to drive and they all looked horrible =(. I was ready to buy on the spot if I could get one but the guy didnt even seem to want to sell one =(. Went down the road a little ways and picked up 15k of equiptment with a great dane chariot adn all kinds of other goodies and ahvent looked back. Though I would love to check out a high quality dixie dealer.

Chris
    Precision Landscaping.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The John deere thing is sounding better.
    I know ,its not happening, mabe.

9. Mike Paulsen

from Idaho

Why is this? Doesn't it cost the dealer much to carry the DC so they get cheap dealers handling them? Is it like buying a franchise to carry a line of mowers? I'm still bummed.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mike,my deck is still plugging up when its wet,and no im not satisfied with the machine,mosty because of the deck and engine.I can deal with the deck,at least it cuts good when its not plugged up now since it was pitched right.I am getting a demo Toro in may,if tis nice the Toro dealer will take my Dc on trade,if i get evnough for it,its gone.Sad thing is i planned on keeping this mower 10yrs easy,with only 200 hrs a yr,I think itll be dead in 5 yrs tops,the engine wont make it 2 more at this rate.