Had To Quit Pita Account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmorris, Jul 23, 2005.

1. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

I Finally Had Enough!! This Apartment Manager Complained About Everything. First, She Didn't Want The Property To Be Sprayed, Then She Complained About Clover. Trimmed The Hedges, And She Wanted All Needles Hand Picked Out Of The Mulch. When I Told Her That Was Impossible She Demanded Me To Put More Mulch Down At My Cost. Anyway, This Is The First Account In 8 Yrs That I Have Just Outright Quit. She Has Called Other Apartment Managers In The Area Asking Them If They Have Had A Problem With Our Company. What Should I Do??? I Am Very Proud Of The Work We Do, But This Lady Was Calling Me Every Other Day Wanting Me To Come Walk The Property So She Could Find Something To Compain About. Can I Do Anything To Keep Her From Calling Around Giving Me A Bad Name???
    Thanks For Anticipated Help

2. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Wow, that lady needs to pull something our of her rear. What is her problem!!! I am only a kid but i would have left. I ain't puttin' up with that s**t. No thanks. How do you know she called around? TAlk to her and if others call then just explain it. That might be a good way of getting rid of all of your bad customers at once.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

These kind of ordeals can often turn really ugly and not in your favor.

4. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

If you do a good job and can stand on your reputation than what is there to worry about?

Usually an apartment has a property management co. that runs everything for the owners ( if it's a big complex) if it's a rather small one than find out the actual owners... (County property records)....speak to them...More often than not a pain in the A$$ person like that is also a pain to EVERYONE she deals with...INCLUDING PROPERTY MANAGEMENT AND THE OWNERS! You may find them more sympathetic to you than you think. If anything they may just tell her to knock it off and just run the apt. complex.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Let me get this streight,you trimmed the hedges and let all the hedge debri from doing that fall onto the mulch below.
    leaving it looking a mess?Instead of putting a tarp under your work area and containing and removing the debri like that leaving a nice clean looking area?

She did not want spray...did you explain to her what she could expect if you did not spray?Did you tell her you would not be responsible for weed control without the use of spray?And get that in writeing?Did you give her a way to communicate her needs to you by e-mail or whatever?Did you outline what you would and what you would not be responible for in a contract?And did you tell her that every time you are called over unneccesarily it will cost her a service charge?

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

heshovel, unnecesary visits to the property SHOULD be charged at at least a minimal service charge. do you know that real "professionals", at least those that think thier time is worth something, charge consultation fees? anyhow, don't sweat the "she's gonna talk bad about me" nonsense. i've dropped more customers without notice than i can count on my hands and feet, and i can grow my business as big as i want. that's the beauty of being in business, you service who you want, when you want. no bosses, no heffe, no mas. god bless america

7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Bobby on this. I am to the point I won't take constant lip from any customer---they can all be replaced.

That includes the $1000-$1200 per month ones too.

8. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

The Reason I Know She Called Around Is Because Another Property Manager Down The Road Told Me. Yeah, She Is A Pain In The Ass To Everyone, Apartment Cleaners, Maintenance Employees, Everybody. It Is The Smallest Apartment Complex I Had And I Lost Alot Of Money On It. So Yes I Am Glad It Is Over, She Still Owes Me $1150. Can't Wait To See How That Goes. As For The Tarp Thing With The Mulch. I Have Never Down That, How Many Of You Do. It Is A Good Idea. Thanks Guys.

9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Overhyped IMO.....if they have alot of shrubs, (not just 1 row), it takes me more time to put the tarp down and take it out.....

In those situations, I use my blower to blow the clippings out, then bag them up (or whatever arrangements we have).

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

yes on all bush and shrub trimming jobs, some still spills out, then use blower to clean up the rest...