1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hadco or Kichler transformer

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by dave k, Aug 7, 2007.

1. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Which transformer is the better brand? I have 2 companys quoting me a job, one uses Hadco the other Kichler, the Kichler is warrantied for life per the quote.
  2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Both transformers are manufactured by MDL. I use the Kichler Pro Series transformers.
  3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Kichler Pro's here also!
  4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I posted a response to this last night, but I don't know what happened to it.
    Anyway, if both transformers are stainless they should both carry a lifetime warranty. Hadco and Kichler are both reputable brands, so I don't really think there is a bad choice here. However, a poorly trained contractor can make a real mess of your project with even the finest products. You should focus your attention more on the contractor, his experience and knowledge rather than what brand of transformer he is using.
  5. dave k

Thanks everyone, the Hadco installer said he uses the Kichler, so I made up my mind and went with a local company, he installs in 4 states.
  6. Chris J

"He" installs in 4 states? Or is it his franchise installs in 4 states? What's the name of this traveling contractor, if I may ask?
  7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a good idea who it is and if its this company you may wish to reconsider.

I would use a local company who wont have any problem taking good care of you after the sale. There are at least 2 reputable contractors that service georgia on this site. Even if they are slightly higher I doubt you will be disapointed in either of them. And yes... hadco and kichler are both good products but be sure that one isnt coming in with alluminum and the other brass... be sure your carefully comparing the offerings. Also ask WHY you should use them over the other guy. See if thier serivce outline blows the other guy out of the water.

I always preffer to use local resources when feesible.. Especially for something that may need service down the line such as lighting.
  8. Chris J

Yeah, something smells really fishy about this. I've been called out of my area before, but I don't know of anybody that outwardly claims to serve four different states. Anybody here spread themselves that thin?
    If I were to cover anything outside of 100 miles, I wouldn't dare offer any type of service agreement without a very big pricetag associated with it. Dave K, you might want to make sure to ask all of these questions before you sign on the dotted line.
  9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

the only time we do out of state work is to either help other contractors (sub work) or for people we know. I could see if you lived on a border using an out of state guy from the nieghboring state or possibly even a franchise that will be there to service you. I can see servicing and becoming licsensed in a nieghboring state if your close to a border.

We will be doing 3 out of state installs this year... 2 are for family(all expenses paid plus costs) and 1 is a sub contract deal where the landscaper will be fully able to service the system.

In all reality I think most of us here take alot of pride in the fact we are smaller companies and offer small company service. Ever try and get something serviced when you buy it at a big box store ?
  10. dave k

I sent a PM to Billy with the company's name and his quote to me, The owner is a local guy who lives the next town over, maybe 15 min. away, he does business in Ga. Al.FL. NC & SC, the business name is "Lighting up the South" Bethlehem Ga. Richard Scott is the owner. He does allot of work in the Ga. Club which is close by, big dollar homes, I felt comfortable with him, he was the only company that actually gave me a detailed CAD drawing of the plan and delivered it to me, the others just came out and wrote a quote, which is OK, but this seemed more professional, he uses all Kichler lighting and transformer, a stainless steel 600 watt. The other co. I was going to go with was NightVision Outdoor lighting, but the draw back was they were over an hour away. Give me your thoughts.